Inventions, Discoveries & Pioneering Efforts in the Fields of Heat &
Do have a look at this section and please let me ( narsi
at esource dot in) know if you could think of any improvements / refinements
to make this section more useful.
For the latest updates in Heat & Geothermal Energy, please see all our blog posts
Heat & Geothermal Energy
Heat Energy - Inventions, Research, Innovations, Breakthroughs
- Renewable Heat Energy – see an interesting Wikipedia article on Renewable Heat
- Ambient Heat – a contribution towards the Kyoto target
- Ambient Temperature Energy Collection – from the Archimedes Submerged blog
- Green Steam Energy - Robert Green, an American Inventor, has developed a brand new technology which generates kinetic energy through the conversion of waste heat (as well as many other fuel sources). The Green Steam Engine is piston powered and designed for a wide assortment of practical applications. These steam engines are easy to build and can be used to power boats, electricity generators, air or water pumps, water distillers, heat pumps, air conditioners and a wide array of other small to medium sized appliances. Read more from this blog article
- Reclaiming Corn Drying Energy - The methods of reclaiming heat energy fall into two distinct categories; (a) heat recirculation and (b) the use of heat exchangers. Heat recirculation works best on continuous flow dryers operated to dry and cool simultaneously. Heat exchangers, however, can be used on either continuous-flow or batch type high-temperature dryers. Read more from this Ministry of Agriculture, Govt of Ontario, Canada web page
- Some Thermally Activated Technologies Info given at this US Dept of Energy web page - The key thermally activated technology (TAT) program areas are: Absorption chiller and heat pump technologies, solid and liquid desiccant VAQ (ventilation air quality) technologies, heat and mass transfer (energy recovery and recycling), thermal storage and thermal management technologies, advanced heat-driven power cycles (Organic Rankine Cycles, Stirling Engines) and adapting these to IES applications.
Geothermal Energy - Inventions, Research, Innovations, Breakthroughs
- System and Method for Recoverying Geothermal Energy and for Converting Recovered Geothermal Energy into Useful Power - This research has been developed by Charles J Mankin Ph.D., University of Oklahoma, Office of Technology Development. Fore more details, see here
- Multiple-completion geothermal energy production systems - Document Type and Number: United States Patent 3957108 - Abstract: A system for the mining of geothermal energy in which a plurality of geothermal wells radiate from a single surface site into a subsurface geothermal reservoir. From Free Patents Online
- Method for locating and evaluating geothermal sources of energy by sensing electrostatic voltage gradients - from Free Patents Online
- Geo Heat Center Quarterly Bulletins @ Oregon Institute of Technology
- System and Method for Recoverying Geothermal Energy and for Converting Recovered Geothermal Energy into Useful Power - Attempts to recover this energy by utilizing active sites close to the surface such as fault lines and igneous rock flows of molten material have resulted in obvious problems. This invention presents a system and method for recovering geothermal energy and for converting recovered geothermal energy into useful power in stable subterranean formations. See the University of Oklahoma page for more details
- Method for locating and evaluating geothermal sources of energy by sensing electrostatic voltage gradients - United States patent - Abstract: A method and apparatus for locating and evaluating geothermal sources of energy wherein it is known that the earth has electrical currents and that these currents are reflected in electrostatic voltage gradients above the earth with magnitudes in proportion to the magnitudes of adjacent subterranean geothermal sources, characterized by detecting the voltage gradients; individually recording the voltage gradients; and evaluating the recorded gradients for determination of the location and potential of adjacent sources of geothermal energy. More details from the Free Patents Online page
- Geothermal power – clean, silent electricity from out of the ground - Geothermal power generating plants, which make use of the planet’s interior heat, are becoming increasingly popular around the world. Research is still being carried out into the most efficient way to extract the heat but commercial plants are already in operation. Read more from this Engineer Live report
- Hole in the ground for transfer of geothermal energy to an energy-carrying liquid and a method for production of the hole - US Patent Issued in December, 1999 - Inventor(s) - Einar Langset - Application - No. 875449 filed on 1997-08-28 - Abstract - A hole in the earth for transferring geothermal energy from the earth around the hole to an energy carrier fluid which is introduced into the hole. The lower ends (7, 8) of at least two substantially vertically extending hole sections (2, 4) which have been used as wells for the recovery of oil or gas, are interconnected via an additional hole section (3). More from this Patent Storm page
- Deep Heat-exchangers to Mine Geothermal Energy - A project in Aachen, Germany, hopes to challenge this trend by using a deep geothermal heat-exchanger to extract heat from far beneath the earth’s surface, through a borehole 2.5 kilometres deep. Heat abounds at this level the planet over, but up until recently engineers have lacked the means to bring the valuable resource to ground level without a dramatic drop in temperature. Technicians at Aachen have diminished this obstacle by using one borehole instead of the two separate holes (one for hot and one for cold water) employed in previously inefficient attempts elsewhere. This method could allow this vast source of renewable energy to be tapped effectively all over the world - read more from this Global Ideas Bank page
- Conversion of geothermal energy from subterranean cavities - United States Patent 4297847 - Inventor(s) Clayton; Carl C. (Corpus Christi, TX) - Abstract: Geothermal energy is recovered by (1) introducing into a subterranean heat exchange medium which is in heat exchange with a high temperature formation a liquified vapor which will vaporize at the conditions of the medium; (2) vaporizing the liquified vapor; (3) confining the liquified vapor until pressurized; and (4) recovering pressurized vapor having thermal and pressure-volume energy converted from the high temperature formation. Read more from this Wiki Patents page
- Recovery of geothermal energy - United States Patent
4030549 - Inventor(s) Bouck; Larry S. (Tulsa, OK) - Abstract: A
subterranean formation is penetrated by a borehole. The formation is
fractured and propped with a slurry capable of maintaining a thermit
reaction. The slurry is ignited. Upon cooling, a solid metal conductor
fin network from the bore into the formation is formed in the fracture
system. Energy is transferred between a locus in the borehole and the
formation by the network. Read more from this Wiki Patents
Check out the latest inventions and
breakthroughs in energy & alternative energy, on the following topics @ NewNergy Blog
· Peak Oil
Energy Sources - Main Sections
- Fossil Fuels
- We’d like to regularly add more useful content and web resources to Oilgae.com. Should you know of any good web resource for Biodiesel production from algae, do let us know by sending a note to [narsi]@[esource].[in] (remove [ ] for the email address). Many thanks for your patience.
- All content at Oilgae are available for reproduction and
usage under the GNU Free Documentation License. Please see explanation
at the end of this page for more details.
Add Links/Submit Links: Do you have a web resource that belongs to here? If you have a
web site that you wish to include in this page, do let us know the details by
sending a note about your URL to [narsi]@[esource].[in] to add URL (pl remove
the [ ] to get my email address!). We’ll quickly review the web site, and if
found relevant, add it to the database. Thanks!
Oilgae.com content is available under
GNU Free Documentation License: All content at
Oilgae.com is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation (GFDL). Put simply,
under this license, anyone is free to copy & use any amount of content
@ Oilgae.com, make changes to it and use it in any way they wish, as long
as they also allow the same rights to anyone else for this content and give
credits to Oilgae by giving a link to the specific page/s from where the
content was taken (a mention of Oilgae.com and a brief description about the
site is enough for offline usage). To those who wish to use content from
Oilgae.com, our only request is that they acknowledge the source and provide
a link back to Oilgae.com. Put not so simply, see the Oilgae.com GNU
Free Documentation License .
About Oilgae - Oilgae - Oil & Biodiesel from Algae
has a focus on biodiesel production from algae while also discussing
alternative energy in general. Algae present an exciting possibility as a
feedstock for biodiesel, and when you realise that oil was originally
formed from algae - among others - you think "Hey! Why not oil
again from algae!"
To facilitate exploration of oil production from algae as well as exploration of other alternative energy avenues, Oilgae provides web links, directory, and related resources for algae-based biofuels / biodiesel along with inputs on new inventions, discoveries & breakthroughs in other alternative energy domains such as Solar Wind nuclear, Hydro geothermal, hydrogen & fuel cells, gravitational, geothemal, human-powered, ocean & Wave / Tidal energy.