OriginOil Develops Portable Modular Algae Biodiesel System

OriginOil Develops Portable Modular Algae Biodiesel System

Postby cacofonix » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:20 pm

"On the heels of a breakthrough which the company claims will make algae oil farming a true competitor to petroleum, OriginOil has filed two patents that may make the production of fuel products from algae incredibly cheap and easy in the near future." So says this gushing news release - http://gas2.org/2008/06/03/originoil-de ... el-system/
cacofonix
Site Admin

Re: OriginOil Develops Portable Modular Algae Biodiesel System

Postby The Doctor » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:11 pm

I'm working out a plan to grow algae for food and fuel eventually all over the world, if my ambitions are to be realized.. but the patent issue is one thing that bothers me. I don't want to be encumbered by the greed and selfishness of others. I'd like to build it to the point where I could hand the business over to the world and move on to some other project, but I imagine I'll be fighting every step of the way with people who are only out to make a buck so they can fill their lives with more useless consumer trinkets. In fact, if anything stops me in the end, it's more likely to be my disgust with the evils of humanity than anything else. I know what I need to do and have a pretty good idea how.. but I don't know if I want to do it.
The Doctor

Postby bob-repairs » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:03 am

[quote="The Doctor"]I'm working out a plan to grow algae for food and fuel eventually all over the world, if my ambitions are to be realized.. but the patent issue is one thing that bothers me. I don't want to be encumbered by the greed and selfishness of others. I'd like to build it to the point where I could hand the business over to the world and move on to some other project, but I imagine I'll be fighting every step of the way with people who are only out to make a buck so they can fill their lives with more useless consumer trinkets. In fact, if anything stops me in the end, it's more likely to be my disgust with the evils of humanity than anything else. I know what I need to do and have a pretty good idea how.. but I don't know if I want to do it.[/quote]

I'm thinking that the algae strains will soon be patented like vegetable seeds are now. We might end up having to pay someone to use naturally occurring algae.
bob-repairs

Postby ROLO15 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:40 am

An idealist does not want to get a patent for his invention so that nobody would be encumbered by him making money. Obviously, no great life experience here. If his idea becomes known and is not patented, somebody else will get a patent. He could chare a penny per gallon for those who utilize his process and give the money to Red Cross to ensure that nobody would make more on his idea.
ROLO15

Postby The Doctor » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:57 am

The current financial system seems pretty close to collapsing under its own weight. Perhaps I will just keep my ideas on the experimental/small production (1-10 acres max) level until everything hits the fan and people realize they need what I have to give more than they need their petty greed and limited aspirations. I don't care about money or power or control or fame or any of that nonsense.. I just want to advance the species in a significant and meaningful manner. It would seem, however, that the human race needs to learn a few harsh lessons before we get anywhere near that possibility. Perhaps the human race I end up feeding and fuelling and clothing will be no more than a few hundred million by the time everyone's done getting their rotten ways out of their systems. By then we can perhaps just barter for materials and services.. better, in my book, than propping up a world full of blood-soaked fiat currencies.

"No great life experience", eh? I am fully aware of the "need" of patents to protect from greedy people within the current corrupt system. I simply reject that system completely. Lest you think I'm kidding, I'm in the process of giving away most of my stuff and going to a simpler, healthier, uncomplicated life that could be lived anywhere with a few hundred square feet, plus whatever space is required to keep the project going. We will start the project small and build it up using proceeds from whatever we make. I maintain a pretty inexpensive lifestyle, and I'll be growing my own food by then.. not hard to sell off whatever we don't use and use those funds to buy more equipment, at least until the financial systems all go boom. The remaining algal biomass plus a few other ingredients should provide a decent fertilizer, to boot.

My idea is more of a network of interconnected ideas. But if someone else beats me to all of it, I have other possible projects involving decent transportable modular housing, new takes on hybrid vehicles, new ideas for efficient interior lighting, and many more. I'll have something meaningful to do no matter what.
The Doctor

Postby Umoja » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:38 pm

We don’t give a toss how much money you want to make, OR your patent.
All we need is a low grade version of your oil, or to buy the tech to produce it in South Africa so that 20 million of our poor citizens can boil maize meal and eat.
Umoja

Postby The Doctor » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:47 pm

I have no patents and desire none. That's a relic of an old system that's now dying before our eyes.

I have spread the word about this project of ours in the hopes of establishing a non-profit organization to make one algae farm using all our ideas. (there are dozens of ideas involved now) From this one installation, likely in northern Arizona where I have access to a friend's land, we would bring in others to teach them how to do it for themselves community by community.

I've contacted people such as Ron Paul, the Russian President, Lou Dobbs, Google.org, and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to ask for their support in getting this out to the world.
The Doctor

Postby DR Johansen » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:13 am

If you want to make something and prevent others from patenting it, PUBLISH. He who publishes first, owns. If you publish, you only have one year to apply for a patent or it becomes public domain.

Design and PUBLISH. Then it is the world's.
DR Johansen

Postby cacofonix » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:31 am

ROLO15 wrote:An idealist does not want to get a patent for his invention so that nobody would be encumbered by him making money. Obviously, no great life experience here. If his idea becomes known and is not patented, somebody else will get a patent. He could chare a penny per gallon for those who utilize his process and give the money to Red Cross to ensure that nobody would make more on his idea.

Unfortunately, the idealists are in a serious majority over here in this world!
cacofonix
Site Admin

Postby TimMuench » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:45 pm

Hey cacofonix. i think it's good to get a patent and the guy saying who cares is stupid. If you didn't get a patent then anyone could copy your idea.

Also do cars etc need to be converted to accept this oil?

===============================
Off topic Links removed - Moderator
TimMuench

Return to Oil Yield