Fuel options from microalgae with diff chem compositions

Discussions on a range of hydrocarbons that can be produced from algae

Fuel options from microalgae with diff chem compositions

Postby cacofonix » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:17 pm

Here's an interesting SERI paper that discusses the various fuel options available - biodiesel, ethanol, methane...excellent stuff...

Objective - To examine various species of microalgae with representative chemical compositions and to evaluate a variety of renewable liquid (and gaseous) fuel options.

Discussion - Each of the three biochemical fractions of microalgae ( lipids, carbohydrates, and proteins) can be converted into fuels. Lipids have t h e highest energy content of the three. The lipids of some species a e hydrocarbons, similar to those found in petroleum, while those of other species resemble seed oils, which can be converted to a synthetic diesel fuel ( ester fuel ) by the process known as transesterification . Carbohydratees a r e commonly converted to ethanol by fermentation. Alternatively, all three fractions can be converted t o methane gas by anaerobic digestion. A total of eleven d ifferent cases (nine different species) are examined in this report , including four species identified as high-lipid producers, three high-carbohydrate producers, three high-protein producers, and one high-glycerol producer. Based on the chemical compositions reported f o r the various species, an estimate is first made of the gross energy content available from a unit mass of each species. Then, options a r e considered that convert each fraction into the desired products. For example, the entire mass might be converted t o methane, the carbohydrate fermented t o ethanol, the lipid converted to ester fuel, or any combintaion of these.
cacofonix
Site Admin

Re: Fuel options from microalgae with diff chem compositions

Postby guru » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:58 am

Hai,
The article is really very intresting...
I dont understand what they mean by glycerol producers.. I guess glycerol is a by product of transesterification.. so theoritically it should be under high lipid producers. Is there any major difference between high lipid producers and glycerol producers?

Guru
guru

Re: Fuel options from microalgae with diff chem compositions

Postby ntvinh986 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:48 pm

guru wrote:Hai,
The article is really very intresting...
I dont understand what they mean by glycerol producers.. I guess glycerol is a by product of transesterification.. so theoritically it should be under high lipid producers. Is there any major difference between high lipid producers and glycerol producers?

Guru

Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.

Return to Other Hydrocarbons from Algae