Algae Strains

Using algae to sequester CO2 from power plants and other CO2 emitting industries

Algae Strains

Postby mathu » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:20 am

Can I use any oil yielding microalgae for algae cultivation near powerplant? Or there any specific spp., for high algae yields?
mathu

Re: Algae Strains

Postby Mak » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:08 pm

Strains like Euglena gracilis, Chlorella sp.,Dunaliella tertiolecta, Nannochloris sp., Tetroselmis sp., Scenedesmus sp has got high oil and high CO2 tolerance.

U can refer:
http://www.netl.doe.gov/publications/proceedings/03/carbon-seq/PDFs/158.pdf
Mak

Postby sreevatsansumukhi » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:55 pm

This idea seems very exciting. Using algae near powerplants? Does it absorb the effluents and grow? What are the end- uses of such algae..

I remember reading a few days ago that a whisky distillery in Scotland have used a similar approach in its facility using algae and that algae can be used to produce fish feed, biofuel and more.. Is this idea similar??
sreevatsansumukhi

Postby poorani » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:49 pm

sreevatsansumukhi wrote:This idea seems very exciting. Using algae near powerplants? Does it absorb the effluents and grow? What are the end- uses of such algae..

As you rightly said, the idea is great as it can reduce the GHG emissions to a great extent.. Yes, some algal species can be used near powerplants where they capture the sunlight and carbon-dioxide to grow and they have various end- uses based on the species used.. Some of the algal species used can produce bio-fuels, some others can be used as a fish supplement, animal feed and more..

sreevatsansumukhi wrote:I remember reading a few days ago that a whisky distillery in Scotland have used a similar approach in its facility using algae and that algae can be used to produce fish feed, biofuel and more.. Is this idea similar??

Yes, it is the Glenturret distillery in Scotland, who are expected toproduce 6,000 litres of biofuel during the course of a year. They system has just been installed.. And I think they use Chlorella sp due to the fact that it can absorb the copper effluents from the distillery and the biomass thus obtained can also be used as a Animal feed for cattle and Shellfish farms
poorani

Postby Sagaa » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:10 am

This definetely sounds exiciting.. Is the plant in the Glenturret distillery started to work? I have visited that distillery last month but dont remember seeing anything of that sort.. May be they got it installed later.. I have a question as well. any idea about the source of water ??
Sagaa

Postby Mark » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:13 am

Are there any other companies or poweplant facilities or distilleries around which are using this ?
Mark

Postby poorani » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:56 pm

Sagaa wrote:This definetely sounds exiciting.. Is the plant in the Glenturret distillery started to work? I have visited that distillery last month but dont remember seeing anything of that sort.. May be they got it installed later.. I have a question as well. any idea about the source of water ??

I am not sure if they allow public to view their demonstration plant.. I also wanted to get there. The plant was installed only on the 6 th of October and I am not sure if its working yet..

I think is the waste water. The way it works- Flue gas from a boiler used to heat the whisky stills is percolated through the algae within wastewater from the fermentation process. The algae, which are contained withinhundreds of glass "microreactors", die and fall to the bottom of the liquid, where they can be collected and separated into oil and a protein residue..
poorani

Postby karthik » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:01 pm

]
May be they got it installed later.. I have a question as well. any idea about the source of water ??Check out this link...

http://www.oilgae.com/blog/2009/02/shell-awards-prize-for-scottish.html
karthik

Postby Mike » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:44 pm

Yes, there are a handful of companies doing a research in this field..

EniTecnologie
Linc Energy
Trident Exploration..

All these three companies use algae to capture their carbon dioxide and the algae thus grown also has varied uses..

Google them and u can find out what kinda work they are upto..

Are u looking for companies in some specific region??
Mike

Return to CO2 Sequestration