Low cost Algae harvesting

Equipments and machineries required for cultivation, harvesting and conversion to fuel

Low cost Algae harvesting

Postby dev » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:47 pm

Hi,
Please suggest me a low cost harvesting equipment for open pond cultivation. I would prefer net type filters. Is it possible to construct one such in home? or Where can i buy such filters?
dev

Re: Low cost Algae harvesting

Postby DR Johansen » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:57 am

I have been told that a sheer woman's nylon stocking works well. It you try it, let us know.
DR Johansen

Postby greengold09 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:09 pm

Hi,
I have read nylon mesh differs with the pore size. Refer the link:http://www2s.biglobe.ne.jp/~kam/kyosin/kyosin_indexe.html

The size of microalgae range from 1 micron to several millimeter.You have to analyze the the size of your microalgae and the poresize of the nylon cloth before you proceed. But if you are harvesting flocculated algae then it will be easy...
greengold09

Postby Greencraze » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:05 am

How effective is it to harvest algae using multilayer nylon mesh filter? Will this increase the efficiency of algae harvesting?
Greencraze

Postby guru » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:38 pm

ya.. the efficiency of harvesting will be good if you uses double layer nylon mesh but then again cleaning becomes a problem as the algal cells clog between the two layers.
guru

Postby phyco » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:46 am

In a Spirulina Farm in Auroville,India- spirulina is grown by eco-friendly methods, without the use of herbicides or pesticides or other materials harmful to the environment.They prefer manual harvesting and sun drying the algae for nutritional suppliment.

Harvesting spirulina during early morning hours

This method seems to be very easy... you can try this also.

See:Auroville
phyco

Postby guru » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:11 pm

hi,
IIMSAM (Intergovermental Institution for the use of microalgae spirulina against malnutrition) works to promote the use of Spirulina against severe malnutrition.In their "INSTRUCTION MANUAL FOR THE CULTIVATION OF SPIRULINA FOR PERSONAL CONSUMPTION."

They have suggested that Spirulina is harvested by skimming the surface of the basin and to initially filter Spirulina in a filter such as a mosquito net. It is further filtered in a filter of dimensions of 60 microns.

instead of filtering the entire pond water .. I would suggest concentrating the microalgae either by flocculation or sendimentation will be easy as well as efficient.
guru

Postby Mak » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:58 pm

Harvesting by bio-flocculation is probably a low cost harvesting technique.

Bioflocculation refers to the tendency of normally repulsive microalgae to aggregate in large flocs, that then exhibit a rather high sedimentation velocity. The mechanisms of bioflocculation involve extracellular polymers excreted by the algae. Once the algae have flocked together, they can be harvested.

http://www.mail-archive.com/sustainablelorgbiofuel@sustainablelists.org/msg69384.html
Mak

Postby Sagaa » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:11 pm

What about the settling time? I think it’ll take long time to settle… Is there any method to speed up settling?
Sagaa

Postby guru » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:11 pm

I recently found the World Algae Producers & Researchers Association website. They have given a special method of filtering most common species of algae.

HIGH EFFICIENCY MICROALGAE HARVEST FILTER FOR MOST COMMON MICROALGAE SPECIES include Nanotechnological Filter Cartridge(Electrostatic Harvesting) and a Nanotechnological Filter Cloth with pore size 5 micrometer with a harvesting capacity of 200m3/day.
guru

Next

Return to Plant & Machinery