Right type of photobioreactor

Equipments and machineries required for cultivation, harvesting and conversion to fuel

Re: Right type of photobioreactor

Postby dacarls » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:59 am

I repeat:

Your lipids (liquid triglycerides= fat) are made inside the capsule. They are soluble in several solvents. Hexane is good because it does not destroy oils. just dissolves them, and has a low boiling point, so it can be distilled off easily. The trick is to break the cells and get the oils out WITHOUT making what we chemists call "an intractable emulsion". You have to get the oily-hexane bubbles away from the water-based wet mess.

You HAVE GOT to understand this science part: Triglycerides (= fats) are made of one molecule of glycerol (which has 3 OH groups) attached to 3 molecules of long chain (14- to 18 carbons) fatty acids each of which contain one fatty acid group (-COOH) at one end. The joint is called an ester linkage and thus there are 3. When you cook the usual fat molecule with a strong inorganic base (like Potassium hydroxide) and 3 molecules of methyl alcohol, the ester bonds change places! So now you have a molecule of fatty acid attached to a molecule of methyl alcohol (times 3), and a free molecule of glycerol and 3 molecules of new water. Separate it all, and the oil is your biodiesel.

Use carefully controlled electric heating mantles on metal or Pyrex glass distillation apparatus with a proper distillation column and a water-cooled condenser to chill the explosive hexane vapors you distil off. In making moonshine, you heat the sourmash to drive off the nasty, toxic, stinky bits (used to be called fusel oils) from the drinkables (ethanol + water). Here you drive off and condense the hexane, leaving behind oily lipids in the still pot. DO not go too far and "burn" the pot liquor, because that is your oil product.

If the product looks too thick or nasty now(???), that is the reason to destroy the triglycerides by hydrolyzing them and making methyl esters out of them: this means heating them in a pot with water, caustic base and methanol. Now you have made biodiesel, in this case methyl esters of long chain fatty acids, and the waste product glycerol.

This above seems very straightforward to me, and about as simple as it can be explained. What part did I miss?
It would be thinner if some hexane were left in- but your diesel engine WON'T like it.

>>I know how to create the Algae, dry it, crush it, and from that I'll have the Grease Released!
Now....the Grease is part -- NO MOSTLY-- Lipids.
We must release the oil from the lipids or make it all burnable in a diesel which needs some pretty clean fluid.
Please please please.....lay out in layman's (man-readable)terms, how to use Hexane to get a thin burnable mixture<
dacarls

Previous

Return to Plant & Machinery