Macroalgae Harvesting

Discusses the various methods to harvest micro and macro algae - filtration, centrifugation, flocculation, flotation...

Macroalgae Harvesting

Postby sofi » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:08 pm

Hi everyone,
I would like to know about harvesting of macroalgae. Can anybody tell me the harvesting period for seaweed ie) the number of harvest per year? Is there any fast growing marine algae which could be used for fuel production?
sofi

Re: Macroalgae Harvesting

Postby DR Johansen » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:38 pm

A Japanese group is planning to launch massive rafts of kelp into the northern Pacific HNLC zones and harvest the kelp for fuel. A small amount of info is available on the web.
DR Johansen

Postby SCIPIO » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:49 am

As far as I'm aware, (as of 10/23/2008) SCIPIO Biofuels Inc. is the only company with a continuous, size-selective microalgae harvester. When we figured out the secret, we created 4 more significantly different designs to cover the entire range of sizes of microalgae. SCIPIO Biofuels Inc. also has multiple, fully sealed and temperature controlled PBR's for different applications as well as all latitudes from the Equator to aprox. 43 deg. north latitude. This assumes our math is correct, I say this because I don't claim to know much about the math behind planetary interactions as they would relate to the angle of incidence of Sunlight on the northern hemisphere.

We're still small because government funding is a circus, VC's have consistently proven themselves to be a greedy, unethical and insulting freak-show. The price of admission is way too high. We shouldn't have to give away the lion's share of literally everything we've got including our competitive advantage in exchange for a snotty egotist who uses money as a weapon. That's unethical and we won't do it. The advantage to having trouble finding BIG capital is that we are spending our time refining the details. Not building only a part of a system we hope will work (but don't really care about), with someone else's money, like most other algae-to-biofuel companies.

SCIPIO Biofuels Inc. has all of the relevant technologies to make a go of it on a commercial scale, here, now, today. Because stewardship is the key to the success of the biofuels industry, we're unwilling to sacrifice our vision of how algae-to-biofuels should and truly can be done. We laugh at quick-buck artists and the multitudes who have tried to rob us with a pen. When the world gets bad enough, our phone will ring and we'll demonstrate how biofuels could have been done years ago if greed hadn't gotten in the way of the VC's capacity for rational thought. :ugeek:
SCIPIO

Postby sofi » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:33 pm

Hi SCIPIO,
Thank you so much for letting me know about your company. Since your company is working on the major problems in this technology like low cost Photobioreactor, Harvesting ..etc., I am sure you ll make it.

But your harvesting technology is for microalgae... You have any idea about macroalgae harvesting?
sofi

Postby phyco » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:27 am

Hi,
Seaweed can be harvested using micro-screens.

Refer the link:http://www.seaweed.ie/aquaculture/NoriHarvesting.lasso

They have give the exact method of harvesting Nori. I guess this can be applied to all seaweeds.
phyco

Return to Algae Harvesting