Best way to harvet. Your opinion.

Discusses the various methods to harvest micro and macro algae - filtration, centrifugation, flocculation, flotation...

Best way to harvet. Your opinion.

Postby BensonAlgae » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:54 pm

My nannochlroposis is ready to harvest and extract. What do you consider to be the best way? Flotation? Filtration? Centrifugation? I personally would consider either froth flotation or filtration. I need the easiest most effiecient way.
BensonAlgae

Re: Best way to harvet. Your opinion.

Postby DR Johansen » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:38 am

These beasties are pretty small. According to wikipedia "They have a diameter of about 2 micrometers." I am not sure how well they can be filtered, but if you are interested in trying, I found a supplier for ultra-fine mesh. They have 1x1 micron nylon screen that costs ~$90/yard for 40" width.

http://www.miami-aquaculture.com/

======================
Oilgae does not guarantee the safety or suitability of links posted in forum messages
DR Johansen

Postby BensonAlgae » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:51 pm

I've given up on filtiring the algae. My biology lab has a few centrifuges that I tried using but it simply doesn't work on a large enough scale to seperate the water from the algae. I have over 20 gallons of algae and the centruge only takes a bout 8.5mL per flask.
I've read about other ways to harvest the algae but I can't find anything on how to do it. Suggestions?
BensonAlgae

Postby DR Johansen » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:21 am

What have you tried as a filter?
Was your problem leak thru or filter blockage? Other?

Details please?
DR Johansen

Postby BensonAlgae » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:55 pm

Well, I got filter paper. But the algae was definetely too small to filter efficiently. We experimented with different types including coffee filters. I was thinking in terms of macroalgae when the nannochloropsis is very small. I have to rethink what I'm doing with what I have.
BensonAlgae

Postby DR Johansen » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:37 am

From what I could fine quickly on the web, only the absolute finest filter papers had a particle retention size smaller than the typical cell size for your algae. Seems the best typical, general purpose lab quality filter paper is 5 microns retention size while your cells are more like 2 microns.
You either need to go to the finest paper filter at ~1 micron or try a glass fiber filter with a .7 micron pore. The lit suggests that glass fiber filters flow much faster than paper.

Sounds like the 1micron nylon may also work. I am curious enough about whether it would that I am willing to help defray the cost of the mesh if you're illing to try.

PM me.
DR Johansen

Postby akram.chem » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:32 pm

There are few algal species which precipitate at high pH (~10+) like dunaliella. So, just adding NaOH will make the algae precipitate and then remove the supernatant and the left out is dense algae which after washing with salt free water one can do sun drying.

May be it's true for other species but i m sure abt dunaliella as we are harvesting by this method only.
akram.chem

Postby Awapoumma » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:23 am

You probably very clever? or cunning?
Awapoumma

Return to Algae Harvesting