photobioreactor stand

photobioreactor stand

Postby newbie88 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:14 am

I am currently designing a 300 liter flat panel photobioreactor. Any suggestion on cost effective material for the stand that can support a 400kg photobioreactor?
newbie88

Re: photobioreactor stand

Postby DR Johansen » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:36 am

Not knowing your design, this is a guess and bet type answer.
For something that light, I guess wood would provide the most economical material, at least in most places in the world. If you are wood deficient, my next bet would be stone.
DR Johansen

Postby newbie88 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:56 am

Dr. Johansen

Thanks for the reply. Yep, I guess wood would be the most cost-efficient choice. But I'm not really sure it can support a 400 kg weight. One more thing, it is an outdoor photobioreactor, so I'm worried that the operating life of the wood stand might be shorter. I am considering stainless steel. What do you think?
newbie88

Postby DR Johansen » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:07 pm

Newbie88,
Thanks for the posts!
First, so as not to claim more than I am, it D.R. as in initials, not Dr. as in doctor. No PhD here, more's the pity!

I am however an BSME (Bachelor of Science, Mechanical Engineering) and one of the things engineers tend to want is cost effectiveness.
Stainless steel, while it would certainly work and last a long time, would tend to be VERY expensive for an unproven project, unless of course you have some laying around as scrap and can do all the joinery yourself. If that is the case, lay on Macduff!

Were I doing this project, I might start with wood. If the project succeeded and the need for the stand exceeded the life of the wood, that would be a great time to use SS.

Just a personal opinion, no real expert opinion here!
DR Johansen

Compare Energy Prices

Postby jameshood » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:58 am

I want to read more.
=============
jameshood

Return to Hydrogen from Algae