Schizochytrium sp

Schizochytrium sp

Postby lintheinoo78 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:20 am

hi

I 'm a student from Myanmar.I would like know about the Schizochtrium sp micro algae.If anyone can disscus about it please help me.I 'm trying to get ethanol from algae and I don't enen know what species of algae to use as biomass.And want to know how to get ethanol from green algae at home.

with regards,

lin

lintheinoo@gmail.com
lintheinoo78

Re: Schizochytrium sp

Postby phyco » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:26 am

Hi,
You can get ethanol from algae by fermentation.

If it is possible to use high starch containing algae like Scenedesmus, Spirogyra, Phormidium yield will be high.

For getting ethanol you got to homogenize the algae by mechanical crushing. To this homogenized algae, Add yeast and ferment them similar to other fermentation and distill out the ethanol.
phyco

Postby sreevatsansumukhi » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:39 pm

Hi ya,

I would like to know where exactly this algae can be found.. I tried growing Nannochloropsis , but it failed and I am given to understand that Schizochytrium can yield more oil than Nannochloropsis .. I thought I will try growin Schizochytrium this time..

Tks..
sreevatsansumukhi

Postby donnaj867 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:37 pm

lintheinoo78 wrote:hi

I 'm a student from Myanmar.I would like know about the Schizochtrium sp micro algae.If anyone can disscus about it please help me.I 'm trying to get ethanol from algae and I don't enen know what species of algae to use as biomass.And want to know how to get ethanol from green algae at home.

with regards,

lin

lintheinoo@gmail.com

Thank you so much for the post. It's really informative!

Postby sultanmg » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:46 am

I have not heard much of those algae other than the fact that it has been used for fermentation for quite some time now. I really do not know if it is used for any other reason beyond that by the medical establishments. I am not sure whether it is a threat to our health but I guess it would be safe if we stay out of it. Besides, ethanol itself has proven to be quite detrimental to mankind
sultanmg

Postby maychodchoey » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:10 pm

Hi there!

I am a Ph.D student from Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand. I have done my research on the physiology of Schizochytrium sp. or Aurantiochytrium sp. As far as I know, this microalgae is well known for omega-3 production like DHA as they are oleaginous microorganism, and from my point of view I think this microalgae cannot produce ethanol at all.
They are marine protist which can be isolated in the any mangrove forests. You just pick the decayed mangrove leaves fallen in the seawater. And add antibiotic such as ampicillin. If anyone want more information I am willing to share some publications that I have.

Cheers!

May Kanokwan Chodchoey
maychodchoey

Return to Ethanol from Algae