Government incentives for algae energy

Re:

Postby gerrelli » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:40 pm

In the UK the Carbon Trust invest approximately $700k in any project that can provide a cost effective bioreactor design and prove the output of oil is commerically viable.

http://www.carbontrust.co.uk/emerging-t ... lenge.aspx

For anyone that is interested I'm developing a biowiki and am looking for contributors.

http://www.pioneersofenergy.org
gerrelli

Re: Government incentives for algae energy

Postby afreeman1984 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:13 pm

To make algae the replacement for many petroleum based products, I believe establishment of new technologies needs to be better supported. There are many start ups out there dreaming of a small financial boost; catalyzing the momentum of their research endeavors. The problem is getting that initial backing to build the infrastructure of a pilot scale research facility. If more money was there to help independent researches interested in this field it would be to great advantage. The more heads we put together the faster we can innovate a viable solution. There are great deficiencies in how new technologies are integrated into everyday living as well. Governments have become so inefficient at making change, they limit the rate at which technologies can evolve. Because of the permits and legalities behind building such projects, many become deferred and fail.

I think just like American Chemical Society, there needs to be a Global Algae Society. There might already be something like this that I am unfamiliar with. I know of CleanTech which seems to be similar to what I speak of. But CleanTech is not a public ordeal, it has ginormous membership fees that only large companies could rationally swallow.

The money coming from the governments pocket, and all of our pockets to some degree, is being used incorrectly as well. There are many companies that are so large, the research money they receive gets chewed up just because the company has such high overhead.
afreeman1984

Previous

Return to Algae Fuel Companies and Ventures