Which algae to use?

Re: Which algae to use?

Postby Bill » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:28 am

Strazz4 wrote:
danrohe wrote:Spirulina and Corella are two species I have seen offer promise. Can anyone say where the best sources of Spriulina might be? How many days from inoculation to harvest is anyone experiencing? At what point in that cycle are the algae deprived of N to allow for maximum lipid production? How long does it take for lipid development before harvest? Everything I have read is very general and no specific results have been found thus far. Downline

Danrohe, I spoke to a Jerry Sustuckey(spelling?) from Cyanotech who presently grow Spirulina and another strain for the production of Astaxanthin and some other nutritional supplements in Hawaii. He tells me that this whole Algae Oil thing is not what we all think it is. They have been growing algae for better than 15 years and don't think you can produce it cheap enough to compete with Oil. I just ordered some algae from University of texas. It takes alot longer to get it than I thought, I ordered it 2 weeks ago and I won't be receiving it until sometime in September. There is a company called HR Biopetroleum, the founders of the group a Huntley and Redaljae worked for the Aquatic species program and wrote a paper that spells out all the technical science behind this Algae growing thing. I have grown Algae using their process and I am now testing it through the POS Pilot Plant Corporation. I will know more in a week or so, good Luck!

Could you tell me the contact information for purchasing algae species to produce oil?
Bill

Postby chennai102 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:37 pm

paulo wrote:Thinking of setting up my own power station and wondering which algae to use? can't seem to find much information on this...

http://blogs.thirtydaychallenge.com/yud ... ta-phylum/

With more than 7000 species of green algae growing in a variety of habitats of both fresh and salt water this makes it one of the most diverse groups Green algae in the Chlorophyta Phylum are photosynthetic This means they use chlorophyll quot a quot photosynthetic greenish pigment to capture light energy which fuels the manufacture of food - sugar starch and other carbohydrates This is what also gives these algae their green color All plants algae and cyanobacteria which photosynthesize contain chlorophyll quot a quot This is the molecule that makes photosynthesis possible but green algae also contain chlorophyll quot b quot which only occurs in this algae group and in other living plants Because different photosynthetic pigments absorb varied ranges of light in the light spectrum some green algae species require moderate to bright lighting while others require moderate to low lighting You have to remember that not all algae are well behaved including the green macro species in this group For whatever type of green algae you choose to cultivate each should be cared for according to their specific requirements Some of the most popular decorative types of macroalgae in the green algae Chlorophyta group are Caulerpa and Valonia Bubble and calcareous forms such as the Halimeda Rhipocephalus and Penicillus species This group also contains the less desirable nuisance green hair algae Derbesia species along with other numerous forms Controlling them is basically the same as with most any form of algae - remove as much as possible by hand siphoning or filtration reduce nutrients DOC s - Dissolved Organic Compounds by adding a protein skimmer lower or remove high levels of nitrates and phosphates through proper tank maintenance adjust the lighting levels higher or lower depending on what type of green algae you are dealing with use RO or DI water for make-up and top-off water in conjunction with a good quality sea salt mix one low in nitrates phosphates and other unwanted elements and add the appropriate types of natural reef janitors fish snails hermit crabs crabs etc that will consume the type of algae you may have At Janet s Reef site she shares how the addition of a Sea Hare Dolabella auricularia helped to eliminate a bad green hair algae problem that she had been battling in her 120g reef tank for almost a year As we stated earlier there are more than 7000 species of green algae Here are some more Chlorophyta image resources to help with the identification of algae in this Phylum Chlorophyta images from the Universit 224 di Catania Dipartimento di Botanica University of Catania Botanical Department website Chlorophyta images from the National Museum of Natural History Smithsonian Institution - Algae Classification page Chlorophyta images from the Ohio University Algae Home Page In Part 2 about the Chlorophyta Phylum we discuss the characteristics identification and care of Caulerpa macroalgae Feathers Grapes and other species in this group
chennai102

Postby hthuijs » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:41 pm

serious players do not give information on algal strains, growing rates and yields. Every country has various sources of algal strains, most of them universities. In Europe it is no problem to get any strain within a two week period. The yield of fatty acids has been and is the hot topic on so many universities and laboratories and they all produce articles for the net.

The key however is how to produce high quantities with the right type of alga and to think about what to do with the energy rich residue after extraction and what kind of treatment of the water is needed if in a closed system. It is certain that no biologist is capable of coming up with the right system, he can just describe the product and how to treat it right for maximum yield and all the rest is for various kinds of engineers to come with the right system, it cannot be a one man show.
hthuijs

Postby algaeproject » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:14 am

Hi...I was looking for a little help. My son and I am working on a science project to try to extract oil from algae. We have called an aqurium and are going to purchase Caulerpa Algae. Could anyone help me with any information on a simple way to extract the oil, and how much algae is needed? We were looking at a press or boiling. This is a 7th grade project , and we were hoping to yield 3 teaspoons of oil to light a oil lamp. We would appreciate any advice.
algaeproject

Postby poorani » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:09 pm

Hi,
I'm new to this forum.... Pls help me in finding the best strain for Algae biodiesel production and it's yield... Has anyone tried any strain?
poorani

Postby Sagaa » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:26 pm

Can anyone suggest me some algae strains used in closed loop bio-reactors?
Sagaa

Postby Phil_096 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:26 am

I am currently doing this for a science fair project and have been getting quite good results with Chlorella Vulgaris algae. Generally the Chlorella genus is quite good for biodiesel. My brother did his thesis on this at University of Maine and he was able to get Chlorella Protothezoids (not sure about spelling but that pretty much it) and he liked that algae because it grew 4 fold in 24 hours when in a photo-bioreactor.
Phil_096

Postby kados06 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:29 pm

Chlorella Vulgaris is a great strain of algae to grow, I am with GRO-PEC inc. and we are growing large quantities of chlorella in closed-loop photo reactors that is extremely healthy.Because of our unique harvesting system it has a concentration approx. 100 times that of what you can get from UTEX (www.utex.org). We also offer contract growing on large volume orders. In the very near future we are going to offer a small reactor that replicates our 100 gallon plus reactors for the start up learner/grower. We suggest that you get your orders in early to GRO-PEC as this freestanding reactor is going to be in high demand. Also let us know what kind of algae your thinking about growing in it in advance or at least upon ordering the reactor. No order is to large or to small. if you are interested in purchasing some algae of any strain please contact me, Hugh Morris at 281-808-8727 or contact Katon Morris by email at khdm2006@yahoo.com and he will get you in touch with me. Thank you and happy growing!
kados06

Postby cristina » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:42 pm

Lot of product from Algae, as processed and unprocessed food, have a commercial value of several billion dollars annually. Approximately 500 species are eaten by humans, and some 160 are commercially important. In addition to the use of algal extracts in prepared foods (see below), algae are eaten directly in many parts of the world. Algae are a significant food item in the diets of East Asian and Pacific Island societies, and unprocessed algae are eaten by South Americans, North Americans, and northern Europeans. Hawaiians have the most diverse diet of algae. In the 1800s at least 75 species were eaten by Hawaiians, and in the 1980s more than 50 species of algae were still being consumed. The list of products is endless. If interested, you may give your email address and I will email the page from encyclopaedia britannica online to you or you can visit the following ...........

Re:

Postby BC Bio Agg » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:25 am

I have a property in northern Australia of (tropical/sub tropical climate ) with most the infrastructure to commence Algae cultavation, for both fresh and salt water varietys and combos of both (if this is possible).
I will set up for bio diesel production with intent to produce enough product to fund ongoing reserch into this fuel of the future.
I have researched for some time and are still unsure of the types of Algae suited to this climate and weather salt and fresh cand be combined or even interbred.
Could anyone assist in suggesting,. suitable Algae strains available, contacts to purchase, up to date equipment for procesing and for oil extraction and testing equipment/chemicals ( I heard that Nile red dye )for the presents of oil content in different strains of algae
Is this the only method and can it be done wet?

Thanks for your help

Cheers
BC Bio Agg

PreviousNext

Return to Algaculture