Which algae to use?

Which algae to use?

Postby paulo » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:36 pm

Thinking of setting up my own power station and wondering which algae to use? can't seem to find much information on this...
paulo

Re: Which algae to use?

Postby danrohe » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:47 pm

Spirulina and Corella are two species I have seen offer promise. Can anyone say where the best sources of Spriulina might be? How many days from inoculation to harvest is anyone experiencing? At what point in that cycle are the algae deprived of N to allow for maximum lipid production? How long does it take for lipid development before harvest? Everything I have read is very general and no specific results have been found thus far. Downline
danrohe

Postby bamfm7 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:02 am

where do you get some of this algae to get started?
bamfm7

Postby hogg » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:12 am

How about the Greenish stuff that gathers on un-attended swimming pool's?
My neighbor has a 20X40 pool with some rainwater in the bottom. It has had alga growing on it for two years now.
Would that be the stuff to use?
How could I tell?
hogg

Postby alg1 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:06 pm

On still water look for a rainbow sheen,if visible,collect in a plastic bottle and put it in a dark place,after a few days roll the algae around and look for a film on the bottle.it should collect on top.
GOTTA LOOK AT THIS,GLOBAL WARMING HAS BENEFITS TOO!!!!!!!!!

http://www.eeca.govt.nz/eeca-library/re ... nemann.pdf

THIS GUY WAS THE PIONEER IN BIOFUELS,NREL ,ETC

GOOD LUCK
alg1

Postby johnnyboy » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:38 am

I'm looking at scenedesmus dimorphus for a posibble strain to grow. i understand it can get pritty thick and sludgy and likes temp of arround 30C. has anyone else found any info on this strain, if so please let me no. or if you grow it also please fill me in?
johnnyboy

Postby hogg » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:26 pm

At Auburn Univirsity in Alabama, Dr. Putt (ronputt@auburn.edu) is working on a massive project using Chicken litter as well as Catfhish pond litter. (Yep, Catfish Poop in their environment too)
He's pretty sure he can put all this together.
Using the Chicken litter and Cattle Manure as a Nutrient source for the Algae ponds. Alga to form what we need to make Diesel.
Using alga to oxygenate the Litter off the bottom of the Catfish ponds to help the Catfish growers remain in existance. (somehow that's linked to the Chicken litter alga ponds)
This will take the (whatever) out of the Catfish pond that makes the Catfish un-saleable.

I believe!
While he didnt say the latin name for the alga, its obviously in Chicken litter.
So, I'm pretty close to the source.
I could probably get a shovel full from one of the local Chicken houses and throw that in my Neighbors mangy un-kempt swimming pool and soon have some Foamy stuff to make Diesel out of.

So far I'm getting scatterd bits n' pieces of what to do with the Alga to make Diesel. It's beginning to be a bit overwhelming.
hogg

Postby Strazz4 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:30 am

[quote="danrohe"]Spirulina and Corella are two species I have seen offer promise. Can anyone say where the best sources of Spriulina might be? How many days from inoculation to harvest is anyone experiencing? At what point in that cycle are the algae deprived of N to allow for maximum lipid production? How long does it take for lipid development before harvest? Everything I have read is very general and no specific results have been found thus far. Downline[/quote]

Danrohe, I spoke to a Jerry Sustuckey(spelling?) from Cyanotech who presently grow Spirulina and another strain for the production of Astaxanthin and some other nutritional supplements in Hawaii. He tells me that this whole Algae Oil thing is not what we all think it is. They have been growing algae for better than 15 years and don't think you can produce it cheap enough to compete with Oil. I just ordered some algae from University of texas. It takes alot longer to get it than I thought, I ordered it 2 weeks ago and I won't be receiving it until sometime in September. There is a company called HR Biopetroleum, the founders of the group a Huntley and Redaljae worked for the Aquatic species program and wrote a paper that spells out all the technical science behind this Algae growing thing. I have grown Algae using their process and I am now testing it through the POS Pilot Plant Corporation. I will know more in a week or so, good Luck!
Strazz4

Postby Strazz4 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:34 am

[quote="alg1"]On still water look for a rainbow sheen,if visible,collect in a plastic bottle and put it in a dark place,after a few days roll the algae around and look for a film on the bottle.it should collect on top.
GOTTA LOOK AT THIS,GLOBAL WARMING HAS BENEFITS TOO!!!!!!!!!

http://www.eeca.govt.nz/eeca-library/re ... nemann.pdf

THIS GUY WAS THE PIONEER IN BIOFUELS,NREL ,ETC

GOOD LUCK[/quote]
Alg1 Can Salt water strains of algae live in Fresh water and vis versa. I am just wondering if that is a way to stress algae into producing Oil without killing it!
thanks
strazz4
Strazz4

Postby alg1 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:43 pm

The only algae strain I have is Nannochlorpsis sa.,this is a saltwater strain and it can grow in a wide range of salinity,the algae dies and the oil is released and forms an oily scum,this algae only survives for a few days,however it is prolific and is a good candidate to grow in an enviroment dominated by freshwater wild strains,the wild freshwater strains don't do well in a saltwater enviroment.The oil is skimmed off the top and I heat it to 250-300c,my outdoor pond was simple to harvest,I let the water evaporate and had oil and algae left,which i heated and produced gasoline,diesel and had a heavy oil left,this could be used for heating etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_tGkvec8ww

Hope this helps!
alg1

Next

Return to Algaculture