Oilgae Comprehensive Report

algae cultivation in Ocean

algae cultivation in Ocean

Postby guru » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:36 am

Macroalgae in the name of seaweed is often cultured in open sea. Is it possible to culture microalgae similarly in open sea by having a definite boundry?
guru

Re: algae cultivation in Ocean

Postby cacofonix » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:48 am

This is an answer I found at the company site of HR Biopetroleum:

"Can microalgae be grown in the ocean?

A. It is possible, but conducting commercial algae farming in the open ocean would be technically very difficult. Seawater ponds, or ponds supplied by brackish water, however, can theoretically be constructed on any coastal land – marginal, desert, fallow, industrial brownfield – freeing up land and fresh water needed for food production.
"
Source

Hope it helps
cacofonix
Site Admin

Postby DR Johansen » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:00 am

I suspect the answer may be significantly effected by exacty WHAT you are trying to "cultivate" and why. If you need a pure species, I would agree with the prior answer. If all you are looking for is biomass, the answer may be VERY different.

There are large tracts of the Pacific and other oceans known a HNLC areas. This stands for High Nutrient, Low Chlorophyll. The reason there is such low chlorophyll despite the presence of high nutrient levels is because of the lack of MICRO-nutrients like iron (Fe). When provided with bio-active iron, these regions BLOOM! IF all you want is biomass, try spraying some Fe in the Pacific, wait about a week, and start your netting.
DR Johansen

Postby cacofonix » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:34 am

DR Johansen wrote:I suspect the answer may be significantly effected by exacty WHAT you are trying to "cultivate" and why. If you need a pure species, I would agree with the prior answer. If all you are looking for is biomass, the answer may be VERY different.

There are large tracts of the Pacific and other oceans known a HNLC areas. This stands for High Nutrient, Low Chlorophyll. The reason there is such low chlorophyll despite the presence of high nutrient levels is because of the lack of MICRO-nutrients like iron (Fe). When provided with bio-active iron, these regions BLOOM! IF all you want is biomass, try spraying some Fe in the Pacific, wait about a week, and start your netting.

I think your idea of HNLC is certainly worth looking at. Though I heard some news about a prominent company that was looking at ocean Fefertilizing in a big way shutting shop a few days back, I do feel more research needs to be done on the iron fertilization. However, the other thing people researching this idea should be careful about is not to upset the ocean ecosystem. That's been one thing that human beings haven't fiddled around a lot with, so we got to be careful before trying to exploit this huge resource. If something goes wrong, boy!, we're all in for it
cacofonix
Site Admin

Postby DR Johansen » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:07 am

cacofonix wrote: I think your idea of HNLC is certainly worth looking at. Though I heard some news about a prominent company that was looking at ocean Fefertilizing in a big way shutting shop a few days back, I do feel more research needs to be done on the iron fertilization.

The one I know about was planning a "Carbon Sequestration" scheme, not an algaeoleum development plan. Do you know of another?
DR Johansen

Postby cacofonix » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:58 am

DR Johansen wrote:
cacofonix wrote: I think your idea of HNLC is certainly worth looking at. Though I heard some news about a prominent company that was looking at ocean Fefertilizing in a big way shutting shop a few days back, I do feel more research needs to be done on the iron fertilization.

The one I know about was planning a "Carbon Sequestration" scheme, not an algaeoleum development plan. Do you know of another?

Guess it is the same one...I forget the company name, but yes, they were trying carbon sequestration using Fe fertilization. If I remember the news item, I think they ran into some problems with permissions being revoked for using parts of the ocean for fertilization, among other problems...
cacofonix
Site Admin

Return to Algaculture