Procedure for growing fuel producing Algae and help

Procedure for growing fuel producing Algae and help

Postby nwbaldi » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:10 pm

Hello,

I'm just starting to get into the world of growing algae for a chemistry at my college. The goal is to produce a small amount of fuel producing algae in a tank , which I can then extract and make fuel. I'm not trying to produce large scale, so I'm just using a small biology tank.

I have been trying to find a procedure to use, but so far I have not been successful. So, do you guys have any tips/ procedures for me? It would be greatly appreciated. Ingredients I would need, Procedures, tips, really anything would really be helpful at this point.

Thanks so much,

Nick
nwbaldi

Re: Procedure for growing fuel producing Algae and help

Postby DR Johansen » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:35 am

My best tip is to read the info provided under the black tabs under the green banner line. It is a VERY basic course on algae to fuel.

As a seperate thought, would anyone who is interested in improving the lessons provided under the black tabs provide suggested wording? Perhaps I can get the administrator to update the files!

Thanks.
DRJ
DR Johansen

Postby nwbaldi » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:56 am

That helped a bunch, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around a couple of things.

First, for the strain I am going to use, Botryococcus braunii, I found two different suggested ways to grow it. The first is mainly used in laboratories, and it's called Chu 13 medium, but it does not specify what temperature or light intensity to grow it at. The second just said Botryococcus braunii grows best at a temperature of 23°C, a light intensity of 60 W/M², with a light period of 12 hours per day, and a salinity of 0.15 Molar NaCl.

Second, should I give the algae CO2 from a tank? I'm going to try an grow it in a tank, and I do not know if they would need extra CO2 if i was giving the algae light.

I'm having trouble finding a procedure that gives kind of a general outline. Are those available? I do not know a whole lot about this stuff, and it's slightly overwhelming to try and figure all of this out from the web.

Thanks so much for the help
nwbaldi

Postby dcardello » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:53 am

To grow any substantial amount of algae you would need to stimulate growth with carbon dioxide. What type of tank are you using? What will your carbon dioxide delivery system look like? Once that is set up, adjust flow of carbon dioxide into the tank to keep pH at optimal levels, usually from 7.5-8.5. Keep in mind you also need to make sure the algae are being agitated in your tank to prevent settling and increase CO2 distribution. This can be achieved by bubbling the CO2 in the tank.
dcardello

Postby dcardello » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:54 am

If you're growing the algae indoors, just leave the light and co2 going constantly for maximum growth.
dcardello

Return to Algaculture