Settling?

Settling?

Postby Dizzi » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:20 pm

I have Chlorella Vulgaris and I am cultivating it. I have it growing in a carboy. Should I transfer it? How can I get this to settle quickly?
Thanks.
Dizzi

Re: Settling?

Postby OilGirl » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:15 pm

I wasn't entirely sure what chlorella was, so I looked it up. Obviously, I should have just looked at the website's title and assumed it was an algae -- which is exactly what it is.

Now, like most algae, it tends to settle on its own when it isn't touched and it just sits there. That's pretty much what I learned anyways. Do correct me if I'm wrong, by the way.

Anyway, if algae settles when it's sitting all on its own, then wouldn't that mean that you shouldn't transfer the chlorella from the carboy to another container? Then again, does the overall environment have anything to do with settling? I'm wondering what container you would have to transfer it to. I think I'm going to look this up. It's all really interesting!
OilGirl

Postby micka » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:13 pm

A settling tank is piece of separation equipment. It is normally part of a process that involves separating solids from liquid. Sometimes this process is called sedimentation and the settling tank is referred to as a sedimentation tank.
micka

Postby dcardello » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:46 am

Hi. Why do you want it to settle, if I may ask? :?:
dcardello

Postby DR Johansen » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:03 am

In the bio-reactor (or pond), you don't. But to havest it, it is easier if it has settled. At least that is what I have garnered. I could be wrong. :)
DR Johansen

Postby duckduck » Tue May 10, 2011 12:28 pm

Resolve or reach an agreement about . mutual agreement: "the matter was settled out of court"; "he sued for libel and then settled out of court.settling particles that are considered individually, i.e. dilute particle solutions, there are two main forces enacting upon any particle. The primary force is an applied force, such as gravity, and a drag force that is due to the motion of the particle through the fluid. The applied force is usually not affected by the particle's velocity, whereas the drag force is a function of the particle velocity.The settling time of an amplifier or other output device is the time elapsed from the application of an ideal instantaneous step input to the time at which the amplifier output has entered and remained within a specified error band, usually symmetrical about the final value. Settling time includes a very brief propagation delay, plus the time required for the output to slew to the vicinity of the final value, recover from the overload condition associated with slew, and finally settle to within the specified error.
duckduck

Postby dcardello » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:10 am

Dizzi,

Whether or not you will need transfer depends on what you are trying to achieve with your algae? I'm guessing you're using BG-11 growth medium, in which case the medium in the carboy will eventually run low on nitrate and the algae will stop multiplying and begin accumulating lipids. If you are trying to continually cultivate algae, you should take some amount of algae to a new carboy, and add an appropriate amount of water and nutrients to keep the culture growing.

What are your goals?
dcardello

Return to Algaculture