Nannochloropsis algae culture died?

Nannochloropsis algae culture died?

Postby dragon » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:58 pm

Hello All,

I just brought some Nannochloropsis algae back, which is in green colour when I got it. So I culture it by using freshwater and feed it with plant fertilizer. The Nannochloropsis algae from green went to yellow colour. Therefore, is the Nannochloropsis algae has died? :(

Thanks.
dragon

Re: Nannochloropsis algae culture died?

Postby conjre » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:38 am

Which species of Nannochloropsis are you culturing? There are a multitude of different species who live in marine, brackish, and freshwater. If it's a marine or brackish species than freshwater would be a hypotonic solution; and in this case would cause the cells to balloon. They may not function correctly and therefore may turn yellow as the chlorophyll a and b start to breakdown.

I would pick up a box of marine salt from a aquarium store and add enough to create a brackish environment and see if that helps. Also you may want to add it slowly as a sudden shock in tonicity could cause problems.
conjre

Postby dragon » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:49 pm

Hello conjre,

Thank you very much for reply and providing the advise to me. To be honest, I am not sure what Nannochloropsis species is it... However is ok, I will take note on your advise and try to rejuvenate the algae :)

Thank you.
dragon

Postby sreevatsansumukhi » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:25 pm

Well, I picked some Nannochlorpsis salina from the marine fisheries dept and tried to culture in a tank. It did show a slight color change but suddenly stopped growing.. I tried growing in marine water and sufficient aeration was also provided and I believe it obtained enough sunlight as well.. Know not whyt, it still din want to grow??
sreevatsansumukhi

Postby conjre » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:23 am

Try taking some of the yellow-green water and putting it into another salt water culture tank and see if it grows. If so then your first tank may have reached its carrying capacity. Just guessing here.
conjre

Postby HexOmega » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:50 pm

Just a few questions,

How are you making your media? Are you using natural or synthetic saltwater?

Also, what kind of lighting are you providing?

What kind of nutrients are you adding (and in what order)? Do you observe any gross precipitation?

How long did you let the culture grow?

What was the typical temperature ranges that the culture grew in?

If it is a marine species then this could be a problem. I found that marine species tended to be more difficult to culture than the freshwater strains. If it is turning yellow then that might indicate too much sunlight (i.e. breakdown of chlorophyll in the cells) or competition from contaminants (fungi, viruses, bacteria).
HexOmega

Re:

Postby dragon » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:21 pm

HexOmega wrote:Just a few questions,

How are you making your media? Are you using natural or synthetic saltwater?

Also, what kind of lighting are you providing?

What kind of nutrients are you adding (and in what order)? Do you observe any gross precipitation?

How long did you let the culture grow?

What was the typical temperature ranges that the culture grew in?

If it is a marine species then this could be a problem. I found that marine species tended to be more difficult to culture than the freshwater strains. If it is turning yellow then that might indicate too much sunlight (i.e. breakdown of chlorophyll in the cells) or competition from contaminants (fungi, viruses, bacteria).

I have failed to revive back the algae :cry:

I use synthetic saltwater, where I brought the salt from the pet store and mix it with mineral water. :roll:

I place the algae culture next to a white color fluorescent PL light bulb (18 watt), again I brought it from the pet store.

I add some fertilizer and iron (which for aquarium plant). I didn't notice any gross precipitation....

I let it culture for 2 weeks and average temperature will be 25 - 30 degree Celsius.

Thanks.
dragon

Re:

Postby HexOmega » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:22 pm

Hi dragon,

How much sea salt did you add? If you are able to obtain a new batch of Nannochloropsis, place equal samples of the batch in 35 g salt per litre, 30 g salt per litre, and 25 g salt per litre (all per litre of ordinary tap water, or distilled if you have access). Maintain identical nutrient, light and aeration conditions in each. I've found that for marine species, the majority tend to grow in a salinity slightly less than that of seawater.

What are the ingredients of the nutrient mix you are using? Specifically, (a) are there any copper ions present? and (b) what form of nitrogen is present? (e.g. NO3, NH4, etc.). I'd imagine it's a nitrate, but one never knows...

When you say you used mineral water, do you mean carbonated or uncarbonated water? (Some parts of the world call mineral water the carbonated version). If you meant the former, try to stick to the latter. In addition, if you can, obtain a simple nitrate/phosphate/pH test kit from the aquarium store you got the sea salt from. pH shock may be causing your cultures to crash if you are using carbonated water (though the bicarbonate ion is the form of carbon uptake).

Otherwise, temperature and light source seem fine. Are you able to take some photos of your setup and the culture? I wouldn't bother trying to revive them, just start with a fresh batch. Also, get the species full name and strain number if possible (e.g. is it Nannochloropsis salina? sp.? oculata? etc.).
HexOmega

Postby andrew39 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:05 am

Many marine algae are fairly easy to culture. Unfortunately, not all the
bioluminescent ones are the easiest to culture. I would recommend you
start with a heartier species such as Pyrocystis lunula.....
andrew39

Return to Algaculture