Algae in Guatemala'a Atitlan Lake

Algae in Guatemala'a Atitlan Lake

Postby poorani » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:18 pm

I have got an problem - Some algae are attacking
one of the lakes of my country Guatemala. This algae is all over the lake and is a pest. Nobody wants this algae which is destroying one of thetourist industry,

I think you can help me with some ideas in order to use this algae....someone has told that is a cyanobacteria, but another thinks is an algae....

Hope you can help us with this problem.
poorani

Re: Algae in Guatemala'a Atitlan Lake

Postby Mike » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:22 pm

poorani wrote:I have got an problem - Some algae are attacking
one of the lakes of my country Guatemala. This algae is all over the lake and is a pest. Nobody wants this algae which is destroying one of thetourist industry,

I think you can help me with some ideas in order to use this algae....someone has told that is a cyanobacteria, but another thinks is an algae....

There are about 30,000 species of algae. So, first you need to find the type of algae in your lake and its oil content. Cyanobacteria is also a type of algae. It is commonly known as blue green algae.

There are variety of products that can be derived from algae. If the algae is rich in oil then the algae can be processed to make biodiesel. If the algae is rich in carbohydrates then it can be used as a raw material for
making ethanol. If the algae is rich in protein then it can be used as animal feed or aquaculture feed.

Please try to find out the type of algae strain then only I can suggest possible uses of the algae.
Mike

Postby alexmax021 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:32 am

poorani wrote:I have got an problem - Some algae are attacking

Thanks for sharing.

Postby Algae Maffiosi » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:23 am

Algae blooms occour when nutrients are plentyfull and the temperature is right.

1 You could use the algae for all the stuff Mike suggested.
2 Figure out why the algae are blooming in the first place to prevent it from damaging the tourist industry.

Algae mainly need a nitrogen source a phosphate source. There are also algae that can grow on carbon sources. Figure out where the nutrients come from --> What goes into the lake that promotes this bloom. Think of waste streams, or stuff that is used alot near the lake (my b there is a farm that uses a lot of vertilizer or something like that. )

This is my 2 cents

Good luck
Algae Maffiosi

Postby ajb009 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:27 am

Hello

I am in Nicaragua. I from Nicaragua, and lived for a long time in Guatemala, Indeed lake Atitlan is beautiful. Have you determine the type or algae? I am a marine biologist. Please tell me more
write me an email at adolfo.bengoechea@ajbecorporation.com
ajb009

Return to Algaculture