Growing Algae: Chlorella minutissima/chlamydomonas reinhardi

Growing Algae: Chlorella minutissima/chlamydomonas reinhardi

Postby d.real.napster » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:47 am

Well I guess this is my first post in this forum. I have some prior knowledge of growing algae (chlorella minutissima). I had also built a photobioreactor of ~90 litre capacity lab scale and even grew chlorella in it. That was what I did in India where the temperatutre was about 40 degrees celsius (120 F) Now, again I have started to grow chlorella but this time its in lab scale again but in the lab itself.
I bought the strains and the medium from ecogenics research center
http://ecogenicsresearchcenter.org/prod02.htm

I am trying to grow algae from it but I am unsuccessul. I am employed a rack with 1 feet height and am using a grow light as the light source with constant bubbling of air using an air pump. I used the medium as told by the people I bought with but only put 1 mL of algae into 1000 mL solution. its already been 3 days and I see nothing.
Now, I called them and they told me its very dilute, so they asked me to mix 45 mL of their algae with 250 mL of water using a drop of the nutrient solution they provied with constant purging of air. I just have put the flask under the light. But I guess the light that I am getting is also about max. of 2000 lux on the algae.

Kindly help me with what to do or improve on it.

thanks
d.real.napster

Re: Growing Algae: Chlorella minutissima/chlamydomonas reinh

Postby kezdodik » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:27 pm

its only been 3 days, it might take up to a week to see results.
once the water color becomes darker green you will know, it is that simple.
kezdodik

Return to Algaculture