Properties of Algal Oil

Properties of Algal Oil

Postby vdelli2 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:40 am

Hello,
I am working on a project for my Senior Design class. I attend UIC in Chicago and we are doing our project on producing biodiesel from microalgae. Just wanted to know if anyone has any information about the cloud point, cetane number, heating value, etc. of the biodiesel made from algal oils. I have found a couple of research papers but nothing with definitive numbers. Any other information would be helpful too. Its getting down to the wire to get the economics hammered out too so, thanks in advance.
vdelli2

Re: Properties of Algal Oil

Postby 10hpcar » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:20 pm

vdelli2,
I do not have the cetane value of algae bio Diesel right now, But I am running it in a car with a 10 Horsepower Diesel in it. It gells very easily in cool weather, and has proved to be very uneconomical to extract the oil from the algae. I do it chemically so you do not have to completely dry the algae out. About $12 per gallon. I started working on several other aspects of the algae and concentrated on the harvesting and growing. The bio Diesel from algae burns good in the engine has cooler exhaust tempatures and smells like a fish frying. I am having a full analysis done on the algae I am growing right now and should have that back in a couple of weeks.
10hpcar

Re: Properties of Algal Oil

Postby sreevatsansumukhi » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:48 pm

vdelli2 wrote:Hello,
I am working on a project for my Senior Design class. I attend UIC in Chicago and we are doing our project on producing biodiesel from microalgae. Just wanted to know if anyone has any information about the cloud point, cetane number, heating value, etc. of the biodiesel made from algal oils. I have found a couple of research papers but nothing with definitive numbers. Any other information would be helpful too. Its getting down to the wire to get the economics hammered out too so, thanks in advance.

Hello,
I managed to get the cetane number and the cloud point of algal oil after a lot of web research . However, I am not very sure about my answer though :(
The values below are the cloud point and the cetane number of the algae biofuel produced by Solazyme.
Cloud point ( - 7º C )
Cetane number (> 56)

Please check out this link - http://www.ethanolsummit.com.br/upload/palestrante/20090615042755125-87857272.pdf
sreevatsansumukhi

Return to Oil Yield