Marine algae most promising bet for green fuel

Postby cacofonix » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:38 pm

Washington, Jan 5 (IANS) Scientists see marine algae as the most promising bet for a green fuel that would help ease the dependence on fossil fuel and power vehicles of the future.

Scripps Institution of Oceanography, University of Californa San Diego (UCSD), scientists along with their counterparts from its division of biological sciences are part of an emerging algal biofuel consortium that includes academic collaborators, CleanTECH, public and private partners.

Scripps biologist Greg Mitchell is quick to point out to anyone who asks that marine algae are the most efficient organisms on earth for absorbing light energy and converting it into a natural biomass oil product, the biofuel equivalent of crude oil.

Article source
cacofonix
Site Admin

Re: Marine algae most promising bet for green fuel

Postby DR Johansen » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:57 pm

It is nice to see that Scripps agrees with me. I've been posting that opinion here for months. :)
DR Johansen

Re: Marine algae most promising bet for green fuel

Postby cacofonix » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:01 am

I am not entirely sure about what these folks mean by marine algae - are they referring to algae that grow in sea or do they simply refer to algae that can grow in saline water?

Guess there is a difference between the two because the ocean's ecosystems is far different from that of a simple saltwater pond!
cacofonix
Site Admin

Return to Oil Yield