Chicken litter algae?

Chicken litter algae?

Postby hogg » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:34 am

We are the Chicken litter capital of the world here in Cullman County Alabama. :D

Is there some really oily productive Algae I can get from all this Chicken litter.

C'mon you informative chemists...... :)
hogg

Re: Chicken litter algae?

Postby bhaskarmv » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:47 pm

Chicken litter or any animal litter or dung can be used to grow algae.

But oil from algae on a commercial scale is at least 5 years away.

The oil from algae researchers have not yet identified the best species, growth conditions, harvesting technology, oil extraction technology.

If you are interested in using algae as fish feed, we can help you put up a fish pond on your farm and you can grow fish along with chicken.

The popular view that oil from algae is an answer to the food vs fuel controversy.
This is not so, algae are the natural food for fish and the nitrogen and phosphorus in litter / dung is the feed for algae.
So you can use chicken litter either to get fish or fuel.
Diatom Algae are the best food for fish and we have developed a micro nutrient powder that causes a bloom of Diatoms.
This powder is to be mixed into the pond and the diatoms consume the organic matter and provide oxygen and food for fish.

best regards

Bhaskar
www.kadambari.net
bhaskarmv

Postby hogg » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:10 am

Wow, that was a Mouthful.
I read that 'Bottouccilli sumpinorother' has the most oil of the alga.
Not wanting to buy, and having Chicken litter by the ton available pretty cheap if not free....
That litter comes from the Chicken farms. That stuff will have plenty of whatever they feed the Chickens encapsulated in the 'litter'.

For a small operation to see if this will work, would I just dump a shovel full into a Barrell?
Would that work? How long do you think it would take to get the water coverd with alga. Its winter now, short sunlight and chilly nights. Down to 27-30 right now but will be up in the 50's soon.

Or should I spend the money on the hi-dollar 'Bott....'?
hogg

Postby DR Johansen » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:38 pm

Hogg,
I read your "interests" which include "fishing". This implies you are near a body of water. If said body is a lake or sea (not flowing), have you considered fishing for algae?

Not being retired, and living in a big city, I am not able to do this; but I keep envisioning a lazy day sailing around an algae bloom, scooping up the little critters and converting them into algaeoleum. 'Twould be good for the environment (I think) and may be the start of a big business.

Is this something you could do?
DR Johansen

Postby hogg » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:08 pm

Why didn't I think of that?
We have some pretty green ponds hereabout and an abandoned swimming pool with algae so thick n' gooey you could just about walk across the stuff. :P

I thought about throwing a shovel of Chicken litter into his pool and see what develops. He has some Resident turtles in it. They cannot get out so they live and die and eat each other in a foot of Algae covered water.
I'll bet that water is Rich in oil bearing Algae.
If I were a good guy, I'd buy a dozen Shiners and throw in there. Just to liven up the action :)
The Shiners survive very well in those Algae lakes, why not this Pool?

Some stock ponds in the area have Crustaceans, Amphibians and Cattle offal. The Blue Herons fish there almost daily.
Those ponds some times turn absolutely green with Perch Grass. How about that stuff? Is it usable?

I am your typical layman though. I know where it is, but I don't know what I'm looking at though.
How do I tell the valuable stuff from the mud.

You have any suggestions there. Is the good oily bearing stuff visibly identifiable, or do I have to convert some to know that?

Would some closeup photos help?
hogg

Postby DR Johansen » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:51 pm

hogg wrote:We have some pretty green ponds hereabout and an abandoned swimming pool with algae so thick n' gooey you could just about walk across the stuff.
Is this goo-pool owned by a FRIEND or just a neighbor?

The reason I ask is that IF you decide to try this, it may dictate the time of day or night!

The C.S#|t in the pool sounds interesting. I'd ask the friend first. The neighbor...

But my suggestion, if I can somehow make you try it, is to get some extra-queen-size (biggest you can) sheer panty hose, attach it to a typical leaf net hoop, and try harvesting the alg-oo that way. I REALLY want to see how it goes. Not being where I can do this, I keep trying to get someone to try it and post the results. Please?

As to how to tell whether theres oil in them thar critters; I have no idea. I am a mechanical engineer. Maybe someone else can make a suggestion. Seems to me that there should be a fairly easy way to tell by burning a sample, but...

Anyone?
DR Johansen

Postby hogg » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:28 pm

How to get the oil out of the Cake?

Doc I been asking that very question on this site for a long time. Nobody has ever published a detailed method of extracting the oil from the lipids. :roll:
So far....nothing! :evil:

This guy is not a friend. In fact we are enemies.
But nobody is there during the day and I have a long handled net. I'll put some panty hose inside the existing net and capture a bunch of it in a Five gallon bucket.
I'll have the bucket 3/4 full and see if it grows, etc.

But it's been there over two years now, and still in existence about like it was the first time I saw it.

Scum on wild stock ponds goes away if the wind blows or it gets chilly. Same with our huge lake.

I used to think the Herons ate fish. That they fished by sight. But on the days when the Scum is covering the pond, the Herons do just as well. They have some way of seeing through the scum, or they are striking at a movement in the scum, or they are eating crustaceans just past the edge of the Scum.
They don't let me get close enough to see! ;)

Ducks wont land on the scum. If the scum covers the whole pond the Ducks get out. Or fly away.
When the pond scum is thick, you can see the Gator trails :shock: etc in the Scum.
It takes a day or so for the Scum to close up the Trails. So I think the wild stuff grows fast, but not thick.

It's raining today, a good time to assess the Scum in the pond and down at the Farm pond.
DIck
hogg

Postby energy unleash » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:05 pm

It could be a better way to grow an algae with chicken litter .
http://www.oilgae.com/
energy unleash

Postby hardpintoo » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:25 am

Chicken litter is good fertilizer. Chicken litter is a bad pollutant.

That's the debate between Oklahoma Attorney General Drew Edmondson and chicken growers, ranchers and farmers in both Oklahoma and Arkansas.

Those who use chicken litter say it can be both bad and good. Correct use of the product will solve the pollution problems, they say.

Read more: Sequoyah County Times - The Good The Bad And The Chicken Litter
hardpintoo

Postby hogg » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:00 am

Hardpintoo, I'm very familiar with the Politics of Chicken litter, the EPA and the Economics of Chicken to the public.

The Gubbermnt is coming down on the Chicken litter industry hard. It's costing the Chicken growers lots of money.
No spreading during the winter or spring. Jeez there's a lot to that because you need the litter on the ground during the winter and spring.
Meanwhile the USDA is keeping the pressure up on the Chicken growers.

The whole Gubbermnt dont seem to care that Imports from Asia are not even inspected. Your eating Chicken from un-supervised growers, and our Chicken growers are going out of the business very quickly.

It dont matter at all if Algae Oil is 5 years away, the Gubbermnt could help out all the Animal farmers by putting some money into the Re-Cycle program for all the Aggies.
If they just made One farm as a test, the rest would follow in quick succession.
hogg

Return to Oil Yield