Green Crude

Green Crude

Postby guru » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:41 pm

Can anybody tell me What Exactly is the term "Green Crude" means, Which is often used by companies? Is it just the Extracted oil?
guru

Re: Green Crude

Postby cacofonix » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:52 pm

That's a good question. Usually, it used to be the field of computers that came up with complex sounding jargons for rather simple concepts. Now it is the turn of the alt energy industry (and don't be surprised if you find many millionaire IT geeks who have graduated to this field).

That said, I'd imagine green crude refers to any type of unrefined hydrocarbon fuel that is obtained from biomass. Frankly, I am not sure if there is a standard meaning to this word, so what I mentioned possibly comes closest to what is acceptable!
cacofonix
Site Admin

Postby guru » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:36 pm

Some companies claim that this can be directly used as fuel.. in such case can this unrefined hydrocarbon used directly as fuel?
guru

Postby cacofonix » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:54 pm

guru wrote:Some companies claim that this can be directly used as fuel.. in such case can this unrefined hydrocarbon used directly as fuel?

Frankly, it is difficult to understand who means what in this industry! Technically, you cannot of course use unrefined crude oil, whatever be the feedstock. I think what they intend to mean by green crude is that it is an oil that is similar to gasoline (made from crude oil), but from green sources. I don't think they refer it to unrefined oil.

Anyways, as I said, this is just my guess...
cacofonix
Site Admin

Postby DR Johansen » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:26 am

Sappire Energy wrote:Sonoma, California – May 28, 2008 – Sapphire Energy announced today they have produced renewable 91 octane gasoline that conforms to ASTM certification, made from a breakthrough process that produces crude oil directly from sunlight, CO2 and photosynthetic microorganisms, beginning with algae.

GreenCrudeProduction wrote:Products and processes in this category:
    are made directly from CO2 using photosynthesis
    do not result in biodiesel or ethanol
    enhance, replace petroleum-based products
    are ASTM compliant
    do not require food crops or agricultural land
    are carbon neutral and renewable
    support domestic energy independence
And, to make the market really work, the process must be economically scalable and conform to the existing petroleum infrastructure, from refinement through distribution and the retail supply chain.

So it seems the opertive distinction is that it produces a feedstoke (crude) that will generate gasoline and diesel, etc., NOT ethanol and biodiesel.
DR Johansen

Postby guru » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:20 pm

I read a article "ALGAE TO FUEL METHODS" by David James . This is really interesting. He says that crude oil is obtained via gasification.

"When we fist started making gasification, we developed crude oil. We do this in just a few minutes. We put the algae in the gasifier, vaporize the algae, it goes through a catalyst and comes out a crude oil.

Later on, we discovered new catalysts which would crack this crude oil, inside the gasifier, thus producing our diesel and gasoline in one step."

http://algae.tcoalternativefuels.com/algae-to-fuel-methods-presented-by-david-james
guru

Return to Biodiesel Production