Oilgae Comprehensive Report

Fertilizer for Algae Growth

Fertilizer for Algae Growth

Postby nivedhitha » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:25 pm

Can chicken manure be used as Fertilizer for Algae Growth?
nivedhitha

Re: Fertilizer for Algae Growth

Postby karthik » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:12 pm

A study in Oregon state univ says it is possible to use chicken manure as fertilizer for algae cultivation but the problem is in optimizing the nitrogen and phosphate concentration for cultivation.
karthik

Postby phyco » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:28 pm

A study showed that addition of desert dust enables algae growth..Do you have any idea about using desert dust.

Link:http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/12/031222072059.htm
phyco

Postby guru » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:32 pm

Hi,
The main connection between desert dust and phytoplankton is that these dust supply phytoplankton with iron which facilitates its growth.
Marine scientists say it is likely airborne dust from the Sahara Desert in Africa that sets off blooms of algae Floridians know as Red Tide.

Refer:http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/308/5718/67
guru

Postby DR Johansen » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:26 pm

Indeed, numerous experiments in the so called HNLC (high nutrient, low chlorophyll) areas of the Pacifric show that adding Fe (iron) creates massive algae blooms. I have repeatedly suggested this as a source for fuel algae.
DR Johansen

Postby cacofonix » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:03 pm

It's a pity that some of the ocean iron fertilization efforts are not taking off as planned, but I do appreciate why the environmentalists are concerned...it is better to go a bit slow on this...we don't want to wage war with the mighty oceans!
cacofonix
Site Admin

Postby DR Johansen » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:40 pm

cacofonix wrote:It's a pity that some of the ocean iron fertilization efforts are not taking off as planned, but I do appreciate why the environmentalists are concerned...it is better to go a bit slow on this...we don't want to wage war with the mighty oceans!

I agree, to a point. Most of the iron fertilization plans to date have been carbon sequestration schemes. They plan to add the iron, cause a bloom that would die and sink, taking the carbon with it. The problem with that is that it might result in dead zones not unlike the ones that already happen off the Gulf coast of the USA.

I, on the other hand, want folks to fertilize and harvest the plankton (a.k.a. algae) and not let it die and sink. This is a carbon recycling scheme, not a sequestration scheme. Only the human haters amoungst the greens can be against that, right?
DR Johansen

Postby cacofonix » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:13 pm

@ Jahansen - You have a point, but just that we might want to be a bit careful when we deal with vast, complex systems such as the oceans...it is better to take our time to learn about them rather than make too many assumptions...any negative effects could prove disastrous while dealing with such systems

Narasimhan Santhanam - EAI - India Renewable Energy Experts
cacofonix
Site Admin

Postby DR Johansen » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:57 pm

cacofonix wrote: we might want to be a bit careful when we deal with vast, complex systems such as the oceans...
I agree, but there are already vast areas of the oceans where our activity creates algae blooms that result in adverse change (dead zones). Perhaps the algae should be harvested rather than be permitted to die, sink, and become the sourse of hypoxia.
DR Johansen

Return to Algaculture