Oilgae Comprehensive Report

Bio-methane from Algae - Solar-Biofuels consortium

Bio-methane from Algae - Solar-Biofuels consortium

Postby cacofonix » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:06 am

The Solar-Biofuels consortium is co-ordinating a range of research streams to analyse and optimize the use of micro algae for bio-methane production:

* IMB Queensland (A/Prof. Hankamer): Industrial feasibility studies are being conducted to evaluate the use of micro algae produced in closed bioreactors for bio-gasification.
* University of Bielefeld (Prof. Kruse): In cooperation with the industrial partner Biogas-Nord in Bielefeld, Germany, are con-ducting research on the analysis and optimisation of algae biomass as an alternative substrate for bio-methane production.
* University of Karlsruhe (Prof. Posten): The optimisation of bioreactor systems de-signed for high throughput algae production for bio-methane production.

Interesting...read the full details from here
cacofonix
Site Admin

Re: Bio-methane from Algae - Solar-Biofuels consortium

Postby hogg » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:43 am

Methane from Chicken litter in a Compost house can be used to run a GenSet. The guy with the idea says the litter out of four chicken houses can run the GenSet to the point where all his Electrical needs will be satisfied with the GenSet and at peak times he can sell power back to the grid.
There are two guys here in Alabama with this ieda.
Ron Putt from Auburn univirsity and Shannon Vinyard, a private company, from somewhere down in South Alabama.

This is something the Dairy, Hog and Catfish farmers can use as well.

One of the byproducts of this system is Lipids. That is the makings of Diesel fuel.
hogg

Postby cacofonix » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:44 pm

hogg wrote:Methane from Chicken litter in a Compost house can be used to run a GenSet. The guy with the idea says the litter out of four chicken houses can run the GenSet to the point where all his Electrical needs will be satisfied with the GenSet and at peak times he can sell power back to the grid.
There are two guys here in Alabama with this ieda.
Ron Putt from Auburn univirsity and Shannon Vinyard, a private company, from somewhere down in South Alabama.

This is something the Dairy, Hog and Catfish farmers can use as well.

One of the byproducts of this system is Lipids. That is the makings of Diesel fuel.

Nice idea. I think the process is as follows: Chicken litter create methane through anaerobic digestion; you burn methane in the form of biogas to generate heat which can also be used for heating or for a genset to generate electricity ( http://www.integratedenergyindustries.c ... ocess.html ). Now when the methane burns, it gives out CO2, which can be used to grow algae. Algae then gives biodiesel! Hope I'm saying it correctly!
cacofonix
Site Admin

Postby BiogasBoy » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:13 am

Hi to all. First of all: you cannot digest chicken alone, because it has too much nitrogen. Ammonia will will anaerobic bacteria. You would need, by example, to codigest 30% chicken manure with 70% maize, to equilibrate the relation C/N.
Altough thre are new promising technologies (ammonia stripping, etc), chicken manure is not yet available as monosubstrate for biogas plants.
What I know from the Solar-Biofuels consortium is that there are no results yet. Also, biogas production from algae is lower than expected.
Best regards
BiogasBoy

Postby abbyclark12 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:38 pm

it can be a break through..if we make bio-methane from Algae..
the link you shared..is broken :o
anyways; enough clues..I am searching on this subject..it is like I am getting a kind of a solar training..to extract a thousand more solar energy dimensions.
do share the ultimate findings of this research..
I mean how & at what composition we can produce bio-methane from micro Algae.
Way to go guys..

================
Oilgae.com does not warrent the suitability or safety of web sites mentioned in this forum.
abbyclark12

Return to Methane from Algae