Oilgae Comprehensive Report

Five Technologies - A Musing

Five Technologies - A Musing

Postby DR Johansen » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:17 am

Thanks for the blog mention of "Five Technologies That Could Change Everything". It was an interesting article. But of course it had the problem that all such "short list" articles must have, the short list is too short. Oh, and it has a few of the wrong things too.

I was a member of the Space Studies Institute and the L5 Society back when Satellite Solar Power Systems (what he calls "Space Based Solar Power", was barely past being a gleam in Peter Glaser's eye. I've been a supporter almost since there was anything to support. Wonderful stuff, but perhaps about to be bypassed by another technology.

Energy storage, both the batteries for cars and batteries for utilities are a good idea, once the technology catches up. But at least the utility level storage need may also be bypassed soon.

Storing CO2 in the ground seems dumb to me. Not sure why. Storing it in algae seems brilliant.

But note that I mentioned being bypasses by technology. Which one? Fusion.

YES... I know, fusion is 25 years away and has been for the past 35 years. But that may change radically in the next year or so. EMC2 is working on a technology known as Polywell that may demonstrate that it is able to create net useful, economic power within about 1 1/2 years, and actually do it within 5 years of that. That would be a game changer. Net fusion power by 2016ish. WOW! Remember that term - Polywell. Neat stuff too!
DR Johansen

Return to Alternative Energy Trends