Oilgae Comprehensive Report

DISTILLATION OF ALGAE OIL

All aspects of extraction of oil from algae are discussed

Re: DISTILLATION OF ALGAE OIL

Postby No Regrets » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:02 am

From my experience of currently owning a truck that runs on wvo, if you can make biodiesel from it in the tradtional method of adding methanol and lye then you can run a diesel engine on that same oil when up to operating temperature without converting it to biodiesel. If my experiments produce my expected results then by next summer I hope to produce 5000 gallons a year of oil for personal use, then once I graduate college I would up it to around a 100000 gal/year capacity using bioreactors and supply Houston with inexpensive oil for biodiesel production.
No Regrets

Postby johnnyboy » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:24 am

now going and thjinking about it, maybe now. seeing algae oil freshly pressed, it looks like crude. real thick and sludgy with which looks like alot of stuff that needs to be removed. Heating and filtering may do it, testing will be needed.

cheers
johnnyboy

Postby No Regrets » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:19 am

I can't expect to be able to press dirt and pump it in my truck, I plan on running it through a centrifuge to remove the crud. Then maybe a 2 micron filter. Diesel truck's will run on anything, its how long they will that's the question. I think it should run fine.
No Regrets

Postby David Gair » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:05 am

I burn all kinds of biodiesel in my diesel vehicles: algae, palm, olive and jatropha oil. I have a press that extracts it all. For algae, you must extrude the feedstock first, then run it through the press a second time to extract the oil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sayVVG0joQU&feature=user

I always burn 90% straight plant oil mixed with 10% ethyl alcohol. My fuel economy is better than diesel and I've had no mechanical problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbyVNUJLJn4&feature=related

By the way, I also sell the press.
David Gair

Postby johnnyboy » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:24 am

how much are your presses? do you have some to show, photo's?
johnnyboy

Postby sendalan » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:06 pm

FYI

One can use a quick pass under a microwave unit. The oil heats up VERY fast and is released from the algae. Also there is a sonic unit made to keep algae from swim pools fish ponds etc. I believe it uses sonic technology that disrupts the cell membrane.

What do you think?

Alan
sendalan

Previous

Return to Oil Extraction