Oilgae Comprehensive Report

DISTILLATION OF ALGAE OIL

All aspects of extraction of oil from algae are discussed

Re: DISTILLATION OF ALGAE OIL

Postby Howard » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:47 pm

Not sure I would trust myself with the chemistry for the first one. And that puts you back to using energy to make energy, my main problem with commercial ethanol production from corn.

On the second, looks like that article might have been funded by Woody Harrelson (reference to all the hemp production). :lol:

But the pyrolytic reactor concept is interesting, with all that methanol as the end game. (I think they used to refer to it as "wood alcohol"). Methanol works better in the transesterification process than does ethanol, as I understand it and you are going to need a bunch of it (10% by volume). As I understand it, most commercial methanol used in our existing biodiesel plants is made in South America and shipped to the US.

Also wondering if something simple couldn't be used to extract the oil from the algae. Since water and oil don't mix, perhaps something as simple as sodium hydroxide (lye) could be used to break down the algae cells to free the oil? It is combined with methanol later on to make the biodiesel anyway. Wish it could be that simple. :roll:
Howard

Postby alg1 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:05 am

alg1

Postby johnnyboy » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:40 am

has anyone tryed to freeze the algae before drying to then extract the oil. i think this is worth a shot and could increase the yield of oil without adding anything (product or energy) to the process. It would be great if we could get up arround the 85% extraction without any further cost. The theory is simple and i have seen this over many years as a chef. the cell contains liquid, freezing it makes it a solid and the liquid expands and ruptures the cell walls, easy!! well maybe. if somone in production of algae could maybe try this and get back on how it went. anyone else can try this buy freezing any organic matter and seeing what happens. Or just think about the last time you left a drink in the freezer and it exploded. same idea.

cheers

johnny
johnnyboy

Postby alg1 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:10 am

http://www.fao.org/docrep/w7241e/w7241e0h.htm#TopOfPage

http://www.deq.state.va.us/coastal/docu ... german.pdf

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1343963/5 ... een_fuels/

In the lab experiment,the gas the student is burning,could be used to distill the oil,this is how oil refineries work,using<5% of the oil,if you use the gas and sludge you might be able to setup a system that would refine the algae .I just use free firewood rather than 5$ a gallon diesel,you get gasoline out of this process too.In the Chapter 6 link it tells how to get extra cellular oil from your algae and at what salt concenetration,when I grew my algae i didn't understand the oil slick,I chose saltwater algae so when I grew it outside the wild freshwater algae wouldn't survive in my algae.
About the explosion part,a popoff valve works good,I tested my system and it works great,A hotwater heater heater(gas),a 1" copper pipe,a return loop for the gas,skim the oil,a thermometer at the outlet and collect the liquids at the temps,and that is my system,crude but fits KIC,keep it cheap!
PONDSCUM POWER,we will sell no slime,
befores it's time,(sorry had to do that!)
No lye,driving 50 miles to buy methanol at outrageous prices,and the possibilty of commercial production?
alg1

Postby asavedlabrat » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:18 pm

What was the concentration of salt in the water and what did you use.
asavedlabrat

Postby alg1 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:38 pm

Extracellular growth
nannochloropsis sa. from aquaticeco,they have sea salt and can give you mixing direction.This algae is grown commercially as a feedstock for rotifiers,etc,my outside pond is about 600gallons and i put 4 pints of aquarium salt in it.If you are just starting a culture,mix 50/50 living algae to water,add a teaspoon of salt and miracle gro per quart,after you have the container full,do not add anything except water,and if you are using artificial light keep it on 24/7,anyone who says 12/12 on lighting is use to terrestial plants,life cycles in algae are measured in hours,not days,once you have your culture started just take out algae and dilute50/50,but don't touch the original culture ,leave it pure and only add water to replace the stock you took out,I made the mistake of pouring all of my originial algae into a 125 gallon tank and it died from too much dilution,and another wild species took over.If you don't get oil on top ,add a little bit of salt until you do, however this algae is good for extracellular oils and taking nitrogen from the air and fertilizing itself,so add salt/fertilizer sparingly and wait for results.The best fertilizer is urea salt,if you know what....so an outside tank you can fertilize and add salt.Glad to here from you hope your nanno? takes off,GOOD LUCK
alg1

Postby Auditor #9 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:15 am

johnnyboy wrote:has anyone tryed to freeze the algae before drying to then extract the oil. i think this is worth a shot and could increase the yield of oil without adding anything (product or energy) to the process. It would be great if we could get up arround the 85% extraction without any further cost. The theory is simple and i have seen this over many years as a chef. the cell contains liquid, freezing it makes it a solid and the liquid expands and ruptures the cell walls, easy!! well maybe. if somone in production of algae could maybe try this and get back on how it went. anyone else can try this buy freezing any organic matter and seeing what happens. Or just think about the last time you left a drink in the freezer and it exploded. same idea.

cheers

johnny

I'm not starting a project anytime soon myself as I'm not sure of all the processes involved but can anyone tell me what stage the above is? Algae is grown under the conditions you discuss in the other forum(1) then you are left with an organic mass out of which you can extract oil(2) and that oil needs to be put through a distillation process which means applying heat(3).

Maybe I've got it all wrong but is that roughly the process? Number (2) above - extraction from the dried material is making sense to me in the same vein as johnny's ideas with regard to extraction of food oils. Is it any way related to the processes involved in getting oil from olives? If so does it need to be distilled at all because vegetable oil burns straight away in a modified diesel engine, right?

And is this table below out of date as to the best strains of algae or is the best strain of algae dependent on your local conditions and water etc. and not necessarily the one with the highest concentration of lipids...

Or is my interpretation of this whole thing completely arseways?
Auditor #9

Postby alg1 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:00 am

alg1

Postby johnnyboy » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:44 am

mmmmm, i think you could definatly try to run strait algae oil or SAO. Similarly to WVO you would probally have to filter the oil and make sure it's compleatly dry. AND..... the right or closest hydrocarbon chain length. no expert on those tho......... similarly to WVO it probally could be used. i plan to experiment with this also- to cut distilling and/or adding methoxide and a complete biodiesel set up. i'll have to play with an old engine.
i'll be in Australia to do this so it's nice and warm. :)
johnnyboy

Next

Return to Oil Extraction