Oilgae Comprehensive Report

Introduction to this topic

All aspects of extraction of oil from algae are discussed

Re: Introduction to this topic

Postby asavedlabrat » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:32 pm

Point taken regarding pressure. I meant to state low pressure.

Are you still using the same strain of algae that you mentioned earlier-- the Nannosp(sp?) This is the one I ordered. The one video that you directed me to was a Chlorella species which is around 20+ percent oil. Supposed to grow faster than most and has a solar efficiency of 8-10%-- very very good. This Chloroella species seems to be native to SE and E part of the country and so is very hardy and resistant to virus and contamination problems. Just thought I'd pass it along since these would be qualities one needs for outside farming. Thanks again for all of your correspondence.
asavedlabrat

Postby alg1 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:07 am

http://www.deq.state.va.us/coastal/docu ... german.pdf
This is what I based the nannochrloplsis sp. on 28-61% lipid,also got an email from Old Dominion U. and my aerator may be biofloccation ?or something causing the destruction of the cell and oil release,I'm 57 and pardon my lack of computer skills,hope this link posts.NREL said $1.40 to $4.40 a gallon for biodiesel we can beat that!
alg1

Postby asavedlabrat » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:48 pm

Interesting read. Enjoyed it very much. Thanks. If it (nanno) is a hardy species outside it seems like a terrific choice. The only thing I am somewhat aggravated about is that the US should have been implementing many of these years ago. I hear many people talk about the unattractiveness of the windmills. My take on the matter is if it would provide me with free energy or almost free energy then they could slap one in my back yard today. ha.
asavedlabrat

Postby alg1 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:40 am

Amen,the river I live next to has a coal fired plant every 20 miles,we have a windfarm in noth cenral Illinois and the wind farm is beautiful ,they don't crowd the towers together,the coal fired plants belch yellow cast smoke.....require strip mining coal....let me think!However it's more about energy storage,energy is everywhere,solar,wind,tides,harnessing these is simple until you try to store it.An electric car is simple to construct,more efficient,until you get to storing electricity.That's why algae fascinates me, it efficiently converts and stores solar energy,it can be used in the existing equipment ,heating systems,and it will be a crop controlled by farmers,not government or corporate interests.Like you said, even if corporations out produce the little guy,we will still know how to do it.When I started a year ago growing algae,I never realized that crude oil came from algae.NREL was to close to producing oil,and this would mean......?
Good info and I hope everyone starts raising algae,the Wright Bros wanted to fly...then came the plane,If enough people want energy that is clean,cheap,and doesn't compromise our security, then someone will find the answer(s),the worst thing that could happen to me is I sequestered some co2.
alg1

Postby alg1 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:22 am

Having pictures taken of my oil slick pond,these are pretty good sources[url][/url]
http://www.umaine.edu/waterresearch/Fie ... r.htm#oily
If you can grow a garden,you should be able to grow your own fuel!!!
alg1

Postby alg1 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:21 pm

[url][/url]http://www.plantgeek.net/article_viewer.php?id=9
photoperiod
alg1

Postby LotokMan » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:35 pm

Alg1,
I have been searching the archives of this forum and you seem to be one of the few guys on the forum who has been successful with algae to oil. Thanks for all the input. I like your method of fractional distillation to get gasoline and diesel oil. Pretty slick. I gather you don't use a catalyst as I saw in one of the videos you mentioned?

I bought (ebay) a culture of Scenedesmus (freshwater species) a week or two ago and have just "won" a Nano. culture. For years I have been maintaining a strain of algae which bioluminesces at night. My wife, daughter and I took a trip to Puerto Rico a few years back to swim at night in the BioBay of Vieques (small sub island off Puerto Rico). It was truly amazing. Every movement caused the dinoflagellates to give off blue white light and the fish certainly couldn't hide at night.

I have a multitude of questions: How many gallons of algae diesel have you made to date? How much algae have you harvested from the 12 x 12 pond? It's really handy having an Industrial Chemist as a neighbor. I would be interested in seeing the data you are keeping on yields. How often can you harvest? Do you have a problem with your open pond of having too much rain washing the algae away?

I attended a talk by David Blume (Alcohol can be a Gas - book, excellent) and he talked about the CO2 byproduct of ethanol brewing being valuable to feed plants or algae. I haven't built a still yet but am experimenting with brewing. No problem getting loads of CO2 gas for algae production.
Gale
LotokMan

Postby Vinos » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:01 pm

Hi all,
am very much interested in cultivating algae for Biofuel. Things are very clear and well explained here- thanks to oilgae.com. I am from india i need help in marketing, how can i market my oil
Vinos

Postby jrnation » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:20 am

alg1 wrote:I have been raising algae for a year,Oilgae is a fantastic site,I use evaporation and then solvents, first batch of diesel i used a gallon in a heater first,then put several gallons in my tractor,a gallon or so at a time,results were great,checked filter and kept an eye on temp.Everything worked well.I have 2 ,125 gallon horse tanks full of algae and I am putting a 12x12 pond liner this week,I am getting ready to retire soon and hope to build a shallow clay pond for algaculture.
Can't wait to start producing more,Dan

oh, great! thanks for your input :)
jrnation

Postby g2environmental » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:07 pm

Thanks for sharing guys.

Tags: <a href="http://www.enerburn.com/Whatisenerburn.html">Technology</a>, <a href="http://www.g2fueltechnologies.com/aboutus.html">Environment</a>

======================
Oilgae does not guarantee the safety or suitability of links posted in forum messages
g2environmental

Previous

Return to Oil Extraction