Oilgae Comprehensive Report

Introduction to this topic

All aspects of extraction of oil from algae are discussed

Re: Introduction to this topic

Postby alg1 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:17 am

The essenial oil distiller is ran at 250-300c,as i said it was a similar process,and the oil is diesel at this point,very little water mixes with the oil.Most crude oil is algae oil and it is nothing like ethanol,this oil can fuel itself.After selling 1oo oak trees,I have a LOT of firewood from the tops and make it with wood.Again the oil is taken off the top of the algae pond,water mixed in is minimumal.Hope this helps Oilgae explains how algae created crude oil.Good Luck hope this helps!!!!
alg1

Postby alg1 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:50 am

http:peswiki.com/php/Videos:Algae_Oil_&_hydrogen Need to learn how to post urls Sorry computers are new to me!
alg1

Postby alg1 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:49 am

alg1

Postby asavedlabrat » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:59 am

I feel like I am running around chasing you on this forum, but I promise I'm no stalker. ha. From your last post it seems like the essential oil distiller wouldn't need to be used. The one I looked at from a link somewhere on this forum had water in the bottom flask with a spherical flask directly above which contained the plant material. The bottom flask containing the water was heated to give off steam. The steam moved into the second spherical flask and stripped the oil from the plant material. The vapors were collected with the help of a condenser. However, having oil in the beginning, all that would be needed would be a fractionating column much like they use in industry. Even if you had a little bit of water it would come off first and easily discarded. I'm eager to try this out. Sounds like fun.
asavedlabrat

Postby asavedlabrat » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:07 am

Alg1. I was looking through earlier post and noticed that you mentioned that you used oil extraction and evaporation. Do you no longer use these methods. Do these methods simply expedite the process when compared to simply letting the algae sink to the bottom and release their oil. Just wondering. Thanks
asavedlabrat

Postby alg1 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:19 pm

I hope this picture attaches,if not,just google algae gasification.
When I cleanrd out my 125 gallon,i used solvent on the residue and recovered oil,however i've learned not to clean thr tank,just harvest oil then add water.
When I retire I'm building a pond just for algae,hope I can help the forum,algae is viable as a fuel,hope everyone makes some!
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1343963/5 ... een_fuels/
alg1

Postby asavedlabrat » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:11 am

I've been looking the web over and can't find anyone that mentions extracting algae oil by simply letting it sink and releasing its own oil. The CNET video seems to make a vague reference but that is about all-- same for livefuels. I'm not doubting you, but I can't understand why it is not more commonly used unless the amount that floats to the surface represents only a small amount of the total oil contained in the algae. I've ordered a few strains to experiment with so it will be a little while before I can add any real results to this site.

Alg1 do you have any idea how much oil was released from the algae when it sank as compared to when you were doing oil extraction via chemical means? Was it roughly comparable? Also, during gassification of the algae into diesel, did you do this with the oil that you skimmed off of the surface of the water or from that you collected from the solvent extraction method? And one more question, the apparatus shown in the picture is it at atmospheric pressure during the conversion process?

As always, thanks for any info you can provide? How long before you start building your open ponds?
asavedlabrat

China mass produce already

Postby StormWalker » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:50 am

StormWalker

Postby asavedlabrat » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:06 am

Watched the gassification video and come to understand by his chart that he was taking the algae before oil extraction and vaporizing. According to the video after it is vaporized it is then ran over a catalyst. This catalyst helps form the right sized hydrocarbons? I wonder what catalyst is being used. Possibly alumia oxide (pumice stone)? What about a catalytic converter off a car?

Watching the video and others from the fuel conference, it seems like Auburn University had some input in this project. I hope the system is not too complicated for DIYers.
asavedlabrat

Postby alg1 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:49 pm

250px-Crude_Oil_Distillation
10-400-2-f
pyrolysis-process
I don't see how a tea pot can run at atomspheric pressure,much less a closed container at 300c?Hope these pics help,got a lot more,no doubt a catalyst would speed up the reaction,but it also adds to the complexity.Oil companies get the liquid,you can cook oil out of sand,shale,etc,I think it is easier and more efficient to do continunos over batch,skim it off the top versus mechanical harvesting.You said you made ethanol which is much harder than oil distillation, water=1oo,alcohol=95-98.Take out the steam return in the essential oil distiller,move tempature to 300,you will have pure diesel!The hardest thing I had to do was realize algae oil and crude oil are very similar after you heat it up.I made a bunch of diesel w/lye,methanol,seperation etc.This is cheaper,faster,and scalable.The 12x12 pond exceeds my expectations on growth,however every bug in the county sticks in the oil!Hope this helps,GOOD QUESTIONS,hope everyone starts raising algae,skim it, cook it,drive it,oil companies do have competition.........Keep up the research/questions!
alg1

PreviousNext

Return to Oil Extraction