Oilgae Comprehensive Report

Algae Gasifiers

All aspects of extraction of oil from algae are discussed

Re: Algae Gasifiers

Postby guayacan » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:09 am

The real test is that "can gasifiers be produced at a reasonable price and in modular form to offer that the process release the product at an acceptable customer rate of purchase". We know that the world can survive on 150 dollar/barrel diesel, so in reality it is a moral issue. I personally believe that this level can be breached with gasification. I am simply searching for the catalysts to enable this within the gasifying process. Simply written..... if crude can be produced cheaper than fossil fuel is extracted... OR marketed to a moral audience, then at least we will have achieved the theme of CHOICE (which is where you may want to think democracy made its' debut).
I am convinced the gasifiers can be built within the restrictions, the secret is knowing the in-line catalyst(s)......crack that and we are there. We all know the fischer troppe (beg my spelling) process, but in-line....hhhhmmmmnnnnnnnn
guayacan

Postby nivedhitha » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:58 pm

Hi,
I have been searching for the EROEI for Algal biomass gasification. You guys have any idea about it?
nivedhitha

Postby DR Johansen » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:01 pm

guayacan wrote:The real test is that "can gasifiers be produced at a reasonable price and in modular form to offer that the process release the product at an acceptable customer rate of purchase". We know that the world can survive on 150 dollar/barrel diesel, so in reality it is a moral issue.

I am not sure where you have come up with the "can survive on 150 dollar/barrel diesel"! Seems the economies of the world are tanking after having been hit by it for just a few months. Were there other factors? Sure. But certainly that econmic shock didn't help!
DR Johansen

Postby DR Johansen » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:10 pm

In an earlier post, guayacan wrote:Thanks to all that have contributed comments. I am still convinced that gasifying algae is no more cruel than gasifying switchgrass or other.

Cruelty actually has nothing to do with it, unless you mean cruelty to self. What I am concerned about is the potential loss by using the gasification process.
I just have this vision where a number of ships cruise around the central Pacific, straining out algae and extracting the lipids without killing the algae. The algae are then returned to the ocean and they continue to grow more algae like what we want. CO2 and sunlight in, lipids out, ecological effect, almost non-existant except for the removal of the CO2 from the atmosphere.
The alternative, if we strained out the algae and gasified it, all the nutrients would be lost to future growing cycles. We would need to somehow fertilize the ocean....
I like the low impact nature of my vision.
DR Johansen

Postby grapes128 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:17 pm

I am quite new to both algae fuel and gasification, but here is my understanding right or wrong. When some biomass is pyrolisized, the pryrolisis can be tuned to produce more fuel or more char. Char is a wonderful byproduct, it locks up carbon, ready to actually change soil structure and harbour microbial life for many centuries. When producing char I believe the microbial life within the biomas would die, but plant nutrients eg phosphorous potassium remain within the char and their effectiveness is enhanced when in the soil because of the char.
I see a land based system of great benefit because so many of mankind's needs can be met sustainably, energy atmospheric carbon reduction and soil improvement, or food productivity, all capable in a workable sustainable system eventually benefiting the whole ecosystem, one big 'but' remains- the production of the biomass must be sustainable. I think algae looks really good in that area. Two concerns, genetic modification and using algae outside its natural habitat.
Big business need not play a part in so much of the worlds biomass production - townships and communities all over the world could make use of the technology.
grapes128

Postby DR Johansen » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:01 pm

I THINK that the two processes are different, gasification and char production. One being a high temperature pyrolysis that tends to lock nutrients while the other is a lower temperature method that leaves them more accessible.
I could be wrong.
DR Johansen

Previous

Return to Oil Extraction