Inventions, Discoveries & Pioneering Efforts in the Field of Energy
Do have a look at this section and please let me ( narsi
at esource dot in) know if you could think of any improvements / refinements
to make this section more useful.
For the latest updates in Energy Conservation, please see all our blog posts
Ecology & Energy Conservation Related
Energy Conservation - Inventions, Research, Innovations, Breakthroughs
- The Interflush Water-saving Product - Varyflush Ltd makes the Interflush™: A kit which fits on top of your WC siphon and connects to the front mounted flush handle. Only flushes when the handle is held down, releasing the handle stops the flush (when pan is clear). Only uses just what water is needed. Any less and the toilet would need flushing again. That is why nothing can flush a toilet with less water. Read more from the Interflush, UK web site
- Japan's energy conservation obsession - Japan beats oil costs with efficiency - from the International Herald Tribune, By Martin Fackler - January, 2007 - Energy-efficient appliances abound in the many locations of Japan; In some homes, there are room heaters with a sensor directing heat toward only humans, or "energy navigators" that track households' energy use. Japan's higher energy prices have created strong domestic demand for energy-saving products of all sorts, spurring the invention and development of things like low-energy washing machines and televisions and high- mileage cars and hybrid vehicles. Japanese factories have learned how to cut their energy use to become among the most efficient in the world. Read more from this IHT article.
- Energy Conservation Ideas for the Home - Some interesting and cool ideas discussed: Ideas for Door Insulation, Water Saving Tips, Save Energy With Trees, Saving Energy Washing Dishes, Turn Off The Lights Contest For The Kids, Vacuum Refrigerator Coils, Energy Checklist For Homes, Fix Dripping Faucets, Get An Energy Audit, Turn Off Ventilation Fans, Keep Fireplace Dampers Closed, Saving Water With Showers Instead Of Baths, Drafty Bedroom Window, Insulate Your Water Heater, Energy Saving Tips for the Freezer and Fridge, Energy Efficient House, Tips for Buying a New Refrigerator , 5 Energy Savings To Keep You Cool, Air Pockets Reduce Heating Bills, Lowering Your Water Heater Temperature, Money Saving Refrigerator Tips.
- New materials for energy conservation and energy transformation - At the suggestion of the Committee for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Reactor Safety, a study was carried out on the status, prospects, opportunities and risks of the development and use of new materials for energy conservation and transformation. It was decided to focus on high temperature materials for gas turbines, materials for Solar cells and superconducting materials. As the manufacturing technologies (available or to be developed) have significant and sometimes even decisive importance, consideration was not limited to the materials to be used. The present study looks in depth at three selected areas of application for new materials, where some of the areas already have individual applications and some are still in the research stage: (a) high temperature materials for gas turbines, (b) materials for photovoltaics & (c) superconducting materials for energy applications. A report from TAB Germany
- Nanofluids open way to multiple applications including massive energy savings in central heating systems, safer surgery and smaller computers - Huge benefits are expected from this relatively new nanotechnology application. By suspending in water or other liquids nanoparticles made of gold or other materials such as carbon, copper or copper oxide, engineers have created 'nanofluids' which can transfer heat up to 400% faster than other liquids. Read more from this Smart Economy blog article
- Industrial Nanotech Announces Technology Breakthrough With Completion of New Insulation Material - Nov, 2006 - Industrial Nanotech, Inc. (Pink Sheets:INTK), a Company that specializes in nanotechnology innovation and product development announced the development of Nansulate Shield, a new insulation material designed specifically for the construction industry. This new product is the first of Industrial Nanotech's that is not a coating, however utilizes the same core nanotechnology as the Nansulate line of thermal insulation and protective coatings. Nansulate Shield is a thin super insulation that has an R-Value many times higher than the current best building insulation available. This new product can easily be incorporated into current construction methods and building codes. See original press release here (PDF)
- High-tech equipment is a prodigious user of energy, but now an innovative program is underway in the Bay Area to help alleviate that problem. Over 20 companies, including Sun Microsystems, are donating equipment to demonstrate that servers can operate on D.C. power more efficiently than A.C. Early research indicates the savings could be in the millions a year for a large server farm - a June 2006 report, see full article @ Go.com
- Advanced Energy Conservation Technologies Utilizing Micro/NanoScale Phenomena - Akira Yabe - Research Center for Advanced Manufacturing on Nano-scale Science and Engineering, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST), Ibaraki, Japan. Abstract:
- The necessity and trends of advanced energy conservation technologies utilizing waste heat from factories was investigated from micro/nanoscale viewpoints and systematic viewpoints. Some challenges of establishing broad area energy utilization network system were explained and consequently the necessity of establishing important technical seeds have been shown, which were seriously requested to realize the technical breakthrough for satisfying important technical needs.
- Micro/Nanoscale Science and Engineering for Energy Conservation Technologies The following five topics have been demonstrated as the typical advanced energy conservation technologies utilizing micro/nanoscale phenomena.
- Ice Slurry - The ice slurry has been realized by use of AFP(Anti-freeze protein) contained in the blood of the flounder lived in the Arctic ocean. The mechanism of the adsorption of the hydrophilic side of AFP to the hydrogen bond on the determined ice crystal surface with the same hydrogen bond interval of 2nm has been cleared by the observation utilizing STM(scanning tunnel microscope). This mechanism was simulated by the similar structure of artificial organic compounds, such as silane coupling agents or poly-vinyl alcohol. This ice slurry would be useful for providing the cold energy for air-conditioning system in the building by the advantage of latent heat.
- Drag Reduction by Microscale Concave-Convex Surfaces - The drag reduction of water laminar flow has been established by use of fabricated surfaces bu use of micro-machine techniques and MEMS, which have concave-convex structure of micrometer scale. The mechanism would be the equivalent boundary slip due to the interface between liquid and the gas absorbed on the concave structure of the fabricated surface. This would be useful for the drag reduction of pumps.
- Boiling Heat Transfer Mechanism and Enhancement Techniques - The microscale pressure gauge has been realized by MEMS techniques to measure the pressure variation under the bubble. The boiling mechanism for the burnout heat flux has successfully cleared to create the pool boiling heat flux model.
- Smart Control of Turbulent Heat Transfer - The addition of some kinds of surfactant has been useful for the drag reduction of water turbulent flow with about 80% by creating the rod-like micelles of nanometer size diameter. These rod-like micelles would behave like the rubber strings to maintain the large shear stress near the wall. These micelles would be recovered soon after the dissolution inside of the pump by the electrostatic recombination.
- Nanoscale challenges for Energy Conservation Technologies - The nanoscale challenges of thin film thermo-electric cooling and nanoscale surface phenomena have been conducted for advance energy conservation technologies.
- Original link here (PDF)
· Peak Oil
Energy Sources - Main Sections
- Fossil Fuels
- We’d like to regularly add more useful content and web resources to Oilgae.com. Should you know of any good web resource for Biodiesel production from algae, do let us know by sending a note to [narsi]@[esource].[in] (remove [ ] for the email address). Many thanks for your patience.
- All content at Oilgae are available for reproduction and usage under the GNU Free Documentation License. Please see explanation at the end of this page for more details.
Add Links/Submit Links: Do you have a web resource that belongs to here? If you have a
web site that you wish to include in this page, do let us know the details by
sending a note about your URL to [narsi]@[esource].[in] to add URL (pl remove
the [ ] to get my email address!). We’ll quickly review the web site, and if
found relevant, add it to the database. Thanks!
Oilgae.com content is available under
GNU Free Documentation License: All content at
Oilgae.com is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation (GFDL). Put simply,
under this license, anyone is free to copy & use any amount of content
@ Oilgae.com, make changes to it and use it in any way they wish, as long
as they also allow the same rights to anyone else for this content and give
credits to Oilgae by giving a link to the specific page/s from where the
content was taken (a mention of Oilgae.com and a brief description about the
site is enough for offline usage). To those who wish to use content from
Oilgae.com, our only request is that they acknowledge the source and provide
a link back to Oilgae.com. Put not so simply, see the Oilgae.com GNU
Free Documentation License .
About Oilgae - Oilgae - Oil & Biodiesel from Algae
has a focus on Biodiesel production from algae while also discussing
alternative energy in general. Algae present an exciting possibility as a
feedstock for biodiesel, and when you realise that oil was originally
formed from algae - among others - you think "Hey! Why not oil
again from algae!"
To facilitate exploration of oil production from algae as well as exploration of other alternative energy avenues, Oilgae provides web links, directory, and related resources for algae-based biofuels / biodiesel along with inputs on new inventions, discoveries & breakthroughs in other alternative energy domains such as solar, Wind nuclear, hydro, Geothermal hydrogen & fuel cells, gravitational, geothemal, human-powered, ocean & Wave / Tidal energy.