See also: Oilgae Blog Article Directory for a complete listing of all Oilgae blog posts – covering news, research and updates on biodiesel from algae & other plant feedstock, ethanol, and other renewable energy such as wind energy, hydrogen, hydro-energy, tidal/wave energy, geothermal, solar energy & nuclear energy
Using Animal Manure for Energy
Posted by: Timothy Oliver, Huron Bioenergy
This is a note I picked up from a posting on from Yahoo Groups – Oil from Algae. I’d strongly recommend anyone interested in the field of algae oil to join this yahoogroup; it’s members appear to be doing exceptional amount of practical work in the domain of algal fuels.
This is an excerpt of some ideas provided by a user at the Yahoo groups:
Here is my idea for a complete oil from algae process. It is all theory
at this point, but I am looking at implementing it this spring.
1. Start by using animal waste in an anaerobic digester. In my research,
the consensus seems to be that swine manure is the way to go, other possibilities are chicken manure & algae cake.
2. The output of the digestion process are 1) Biogas (methane 60-70%, CO2 30-40%, water vapor), 2) Effluent (liquid) & 3) Sludge
3. Use the Biogas to run a generator. This produces electricity, heat, and
exhaust gases, each of which can be put to commercial or internal use – electricity can be sold, heat can be used to heat up the greenhouse, and the exhaust gases can be used for algae growth.
4) The liquid effluents can be used for the algae growing medium.
5) The sludge can also be used fo algae production, or as fertiliser
6)The author sees multiple revenue streams: a) “manure tipping fees”, b) Electricity from Biogas, c) Sludge Fertilizer, d) Algae cake sales for animal feed, e) Algae oil – biodieselor what ever you produce from it., f) emissions /carbon credits
7) Some inputs on Algae cake: At a low end (~8% protein, no carbs), he said that the price could be $30 per ton. The high end could be as high as $150 to $175 per ton.
Oilgae – Oil & Biodiesel from Algae provides links, directory, web links resources for algae-based biofuels & biodiesel. Intended to be useful for research, information, inputs, news for buyers, sellers, manufacturers, traders, suppliers, producers, exporters / importers of algal oil and algal fuels. Will provide info on biofuel feedstock, algal feedstocks, algae oil and link details on fuel from algae, bio-fuel, bio-diesel, algal oils & bio-fuels production and uses, biofuels trade & market resources, price data, statistics, prices, demand-supply for buyer, seller, manufacturer, trader, supplier, exporter and producer
Share and Enjoy