String Algae is caused by a filamentous species of algae, which grow in long strands. These algae eventually tangle together, forming thick mats that can double their weight within 24 hours. Blanket weed or string algae tend to adhere to rocks and waterfalls, which can be unsightly.
String algae is the algae that hangs from rocks in the waterfall, attaches to plants or simply hangs on the surface of the water (then called Blanket Algae). Do not confuse string algae with the soft, velvety, jelly-like coating that forms on the sides of the pond. This is good algae. The fish like to eat it and it contains beneficial bacteria. When your pond has this kind of algae, generally, it is balanced. String algae can be brought in by water plants so pull off any stringy algae you see on new plants before introducing them into your pond.
String algae is not known for directly creating health problems for fish but cause problems with water clarity and the overall appearance of the pond. As a result many persons attempt to eliminate the algae by a variety of methods. A few of the methods that have been used for both suspended algae and string algae are listed below in no particular order of preference. Regardless of the approach you may find that you ultimately must deal with reducing the nutrients that fuel the algae growth cycle.
- What to do about Pond Algae - Pea Soup green water is caused by single cell pond algae in ponds, water gardens. Algae also cause brown water, red water, even black water. String Algae
- Algae Control - String Algae is a problem that affects most ponds, the rapid growing filamentous stringy algae can spoil the appearance of the pond
- Control String Algae in a Garden Pond - Natural factors like rain, pollen count, rotten foliage and excrements of pond fish create a surplus of nutrients and cause algae in your garden pond
- EcoSystems S.A.B. Extreme - This product is the new and improved replacement product for Aquascape Designs S.A.B. (String Algae Buster)
- String Algae Buster - String Algae Buster will assist in the breakdown and reduction of string algae in the stream, waterfalls and pond
- String Algae Buster - S.A.B works by adjusting the micro-nutrients in the water of the pond resulting in conditions that are beneficial for good water quality and clarity
- How To Control Pond Algae - Algae can actually give off carbon dioxide under certain sunlight conditions, and deplete the oxygen in the pond. Single cell algae cause green water
- Blanketweed And String Algae Control Products In The UK - The string algae and blanketweed control products depicted on this page have specifically formulated to easily and effectively remove blanketweed from your pond water
- PondCare - Controlling Algae in Water Gardens - The best way to control algae problems naturally is to minimize the amount of phosphate and nitrate in the water. This is achieved by properly feeding the fish and adding plenty of aquatic plants to the pond. All ponds experience an occasional algal bloom. Don't panic. Follow these tips and your pond will clear up and stay clean
- How to Control Pond Algae - This article discusses the many factors involved in controlling algae growth in ponds. It is designed to better enable the pond keeper to have a full range of knowledge about combating algae growth
- Pond Algae, String Algae, Pond Scum, Healthy Ponds Controls It All - Algae, at one time or another can affect anyone who owns a pond or water garden. Now you can treat it naturally
- Pond Care Tips - String or Hair Algae is the long strands of green that will grow from the sides of plants, or the sides of the pond, etc. This type of algae will not make it through the UV light
- Pond care - During changing seasons, string algae may occur. It can be hand harvested, or treated with SAB (String Algae Buster). It is usually good to have some on hand
- String Algae Removal Tool - Three easy steps to take String Algae away!
- What is blanket weed or string algae? Why so difficult to remove? - How to rid your pond of blanket weed or string algae
- The Algae Witch - Developed in Germany by a mechanical engineer, die Algenhexe (“The Algae Witch™”) is a simple and elegant tool designed to pull string algae from your lake or pond
- Pond Balance String Algae Treatment - Pond Balance makes key micro-nutrients unavailable to string algae. Pond Balance loosens string algae for easy removal by hand or filtration
- String Algae Treatment for backyard ponds – String algae solutions
- Micro tack reduces green water problem and string algae treatment in ornamental pond and water gardening - Micro tack reduce green water problem and string algae treatment in ornamental ponds and water gardening. Reduce green water and string algae treatment in ornamental pond and water gardening can be eliminated by micro tack bio balances
- Algae, blue Green algae green algae, algae control information, picture of algae, algae blooms - Below you will find information about different types of pond algae including blue-green algae, green algae, filamentous algae, horsehair algae, Brown Algae string algae, toxic algae, algae diatoms, pond moss and pond scum
- CKP Algae - String algae affixes itself to any surface wet surface and as the name implies, is a long stringy plant. Variants can also be seen floating in clumps on the surface of the water
- Pulling the Strings from Algae - String algae is the algae that hangs from rocks in the waterfall, attaches to plants or simply hangs on the surface of the water (then called Blanket Algae). Do not confuse string algae with the soft, velvety, jelly-like coating that forms on the sides of the pond. This is good algae. The fish like to eat it and it contains beneficial bacteria
- How to Get Rid of Algae - Getting rid of algae with algaecides. For some reason you’ve lost control. ... Algae including hair algae, string algae, algae blooms (green algae)
- Nature's Way to Rid Your Pond of String Algae - Barley straw is a natural, low-tech way to keep your pond free of string algae
- How Do I Get Rid of the Algae in My Pond? - Pond information for controlling algae in ponds, water gardens and lakes
Other Related Sections
Energy & Alternative Energy
Energy Portal – Discussed topics such as alternative & renewable energy, peak oil, energy industry inventions & discoveries, and more.
Energy Sources - Main Sections