When an ecosystem experiences an increase in nutrients,
primary producers reap the benefits first. In aquatic ecosystems, species
such as algae experience a population increase (called an algal bloom). Algal
blooms limit the sunlight available to bottom-dwelling organisms and cause
wide swings in the amount of dissolved oxygen in the water. Oxygen is
required by all respiring plants and animals and it is replenished in
daylight by photosynthesizing plants and algae. Under eutrophic conditions,
dissolved oxygen greatly increases during the day, but is greatly reduced
after dark by the respiring algae and by microorganisms that feed on the
increasing mass of dead algae.
There are many forms of algae, ranging from the
microscopic life forms that give pond water its green tint to wispy clumps of
Filamentous algae floating in the water. Some of the larger pond plants
growing from the pond bottom are actually branched forms of algae.
Without algae, your pond would not be able to host fish, frogs, bugs, or other living creatures. They are essential to having a healthy pond. Algae can also indicate problems with your pond. Excessive growth of algae and discoloration may mean that the water quality is in trouble. Clumped algae can also interfere with fishing and swimming. If a lot of algae die suddenly in cold weather, their decay can rob oxygen from the water, making your pond unsuitable for fish and other animals. This article explains different methods for preventing alga blooms and for treating algae in your pond.
- Pond Algae Control - Pond Algae Control the Easy Ecological Way
- Pond Supplies – Beneficial Pond Bacteria, Algae Control, Water Clarifiers - Beneficial pond bacteria is a non-chemical means of keeping pond water clean, clear and odor free and provides no health threats to people, pets or plant life
- How to Control Pond Algae - Treating pond algae with pond chemicals is not a long term solution to this pond problem. It’s a quick fix that puts additional stress and loads on your pond
- Algae Control Treatment - Algae control can be a major problem for lakes, ponds, irrigation canals and other waterways. Here are a few projects where the innovative BioWorld technology was used to resolve and maintain algae control
- Algae and green water control on ponds - Algae and green water can be a major problem for the pond owner, Garden advice explain how to control the algae and green water in your pond
- Pond Maintenance Tips / Pond Problems - There are thousands of variables, which affect the ecosystems of pond water. Natural microscopic and organic contaminants increase from our environment, dead plants, insects, uneaten fish food and waste from pond creatures
- Brown Algae is New Menace
- Aquarium (and Pond) Answers - Brown Algae is not a true algae, rather a diatom. These diatom cells are encased within a unique cell wall made of silica (hydrated silicon dioxide). The yellowish-brown chloroplasts within Brown Diatom algae are what give this “algae” its typical appearance
- Aquatic, Pond Treatment, Blanket Weed Products, Electric Fence - Environmentally friendly pond solutions. Treatments for blanket weed, green water, sludge and other pond problems
- High rate algae pond treatment for recycled marine fish farm effluents - World Aquaculture is a fast growing activity and the control of its waste becomes a key issue. Compared to traditional systems, recirculation systems allow reducing replacement water and waste volume
- High-rate-algae-pond-treatment-for-recycled-marine-fish-farm-effluents-chemical-and-ecotoxicological-assessment - World aquaculture is a fast growing activity and the control of its waste becomes a key issue. Compared to traditional systems, recirculating systems allow reducing replacement water and waste volumes. Nevertheless their effluents are more concentrated in dissolved nutrients (nitrate, phosphate)
- Aquarium and Pond Algae Types - This page is about aquarium algae types
- Algae Photos - The red alga Gelidium pulchrum from the intertidal zone of San Diego County, California. Gelidium is one of the red alga species harvested for the polysaccharide gum called agar (agar-agar)
- Algae Remover, Pond cleaner. Biological water treatments against Blanket weed. - Travena UK a based supplier of biological Pond cleaner (blanket weed remover), this water treatment removes algae the natural way and clears green water. Other products manure recycling and green waste degrader, soil conditioner and plant healthcare
- Clearing pond muck and algae - This safe and natural bacteria contains a community of natural beneficial and non-pathogenic microorganisms, which have been selected for their ability to out compete algae and dissolve organic sediments caused by leaves and decaying organic matter on pond bottoms
- Clean Ponds - Pond Maintenance - Natural Pond Cleaners - Nature's Pond Conditioner first produces a natural, color-specific screen that shades the pond, blocking powerful sun rays, interrupting Photosynthesis and halting further algae blooms
- Bionetix Aquaclean Pond Cleaner - Working with Nature to Keep Your Pond Clear of Algae and Blanket weed
- Macro-Zyme, Bacteria, Kill Algae, Pond water Treatment - Macro-Zyme ™ is the perfect choice for the control and elimination of sludge and foul odor in Water Gardens, Tanks, Ponds and Lakes.
Other Related Sections
Energy & Alternative Energy
Portal – Discussed topics such as alternative & renewable energy,
peak oil, energy industry inventions & discoveries, and more.
Energy Sources - Main Sections